Explore the database

The database currently contains details of 1002 pubs and other premises, 256 places and 209 people. There are also 329 photos and postcards, 80 pub signs, 672 newspaper articles, 253 maps and 104 documents. About 134 pubs are still open.

Use the options below to search the database.

N.B. Some pubs do not appear on the maps as we do not have a definite location for them.

Quick search

    Search for:
    Browse the database     Advanced search

Stabbing in Llanon 1886

Source: Welsh Newspapers online       Date: 1886
Copyright:       Type: Newspaper
Description: Report on the Magistrates hearing in The Cambrian News and Merionethshire Standard
19th March 1886

A STABBING CASE,-At a special sessions held on Wednesday, the 17th March, at the magistrates' private room in the Town Hall; Aberayron, before Colonel Lewes (chairman), Captain Hughes, Alltlwyd, and T. H. Maddy, Esq., Dolaeron, John Morgan, junior, farmer's son, Tymawr, Llanrhystyd, surrendered to his own recognizances and those of Messrs. John Morgan, his father, and Richard Morgan, his sureties, on the charge of unlawfully and maliciously inflicting on David Evans, thrashing machine conductor, grievous bodily harm with a knife, on the 7th March, at Ty- mawr aforesaid. David Evans, who had his arm in a sling, and whose face bore evidence of illness or con- finement, gave evidence as follows He lived at Felin.- fawr, Llanrhystyd. He remembered the evening of the 6th March. He met John Morgan, the accused, about seven o'clock in the evening at Pendanfach, near Alltlwyd. Thomas Davies, the accused, and himself went to Llanon to the Castle Inn. Each of them had an errand to Llanon, and they arranged to meet at the Castle to return together. They remained at the inn at first for about ten minutes, and then went on their errands and returned after about ten minutes, and re- mained there till closing time, about ten p.m. They then all started home together, John Morgan, the blacksmith, having joined them. He wanted to see some one in Llanon, and John Morgan, the accused, went with him to the Green, Llanon. After being there John Morgan, the accused, and himself started towards home, following their two friends, who had gone before. They overtook them at Penlanfach. Thomas Davies there left them, and the accused, him-self Thomas Davies there left them, and the accused, him- self, and John Morgan, the smith, proceeded home- wards. They got near the lane leading to Gwarfelin when the accused fell down, he got up and went to wash his hands in the mill race and nearly fell in. John Morgan, the accused, then kicked him twice, saying that he had thrown him down. The accused had had too much drink. Jqhn Morgan, the smith, and himself were sober. The accuscd had injured his hand had had too much drink. John Morgan, the smith, and himself were sober. The accuscd had injured his hand by falling through being drunk. He had not touched him. He kicked him again when they got opposite Tymawr He then went into the house at Tymawr, his residence. .John Morgan, the smith, and himself proceeded towards the smithy, Llanrhystyd. In order to go home he had to come back past Tymawr, and as he did so the accused came out of the house, John Morgan, the south, being still being with him. The accused struck him in his mouth with his fist. The accused then went into Tymawr stable, and in two or three minutes he and. John Morgan followed him into the stable, he was then on the loft and had a light there. He (prosecutor) went up to the loft through the man hole. He-then asked the accused why he had struck him. The smith was below. He had not touched the accused till now. He (accused) replied, If he did not stand back he should have it again," and he thought he should strike him again. He then took hold of the accused with both hands on his chest, he told him that he had not given him any occasion to strike him. He then called prosecutor an old blackguard and tried to strike him, they struggled and he threw accused down on his back, at this time the candle fell and went out. Before he could think of anything further he felt he was cut above the left wrist joint, and he found afterwards that it was so, he felt a second cut immediately after the other with that accused said, "the d��j, ot that is serving you." He jumped away as quickly as he could. He got out of the stable, and out to John Morgan the smith who was at the door, he called out when he came down that the accused had cut him. John Morgan the smith went to the turnpike road, and he went through the farm yard and through the court in front of the house and joined him on the turnpike road in front of the house. then both went towards the smith's house and then to the police constable's house. He asked John Morgan on the road to tie his arm to stop the bleeding, but he was frightened and could not do so. He lost a great quantity of blood. He called out to Constable Davies, and he came down, 1Iud tied up his arm with a line. The constable then sent for Doctor Lewis, Llanon. who arrived in half an hour. lie the wounds and he had since attended him. Accused and himself had been brought up in the same village and had always been on the best of terms. He saw the constable about a quarter of an hour after receiving the injuries. Accused declined to ask any questions. John Morgan, the smith corroborated the above statement in all its details. C, 1), (17), deposed that the complainant and the smith came to his house at 125. am., on the 7th March, when David Evans said that he had been stabbed: D. Evans- begged of him to try to stop the bleeding or he would soon die. He tied the arm with the cord produced. When tightening the cord round the arm, the com- plainant fainted. He sent the smith for Dr Lewis, who arrived at about; 2,;10 a.m. At about 7.30 a.m. he apprehended John Morgan. the accused, who was then in bed. He charged him with having stabbed David Evans. He replied that. he used, his krife, but that he did so in defence of his life, and at the same time he put his hands in his trouser's pocket, took out the knife produced, handed it to him. and said that it was with that knife he did it. He brought him down on the same day in custody, to Aberayron. Jenkin .Lewis, medical man, Llanon, said that he examined defendant on the Saturday. He found two cut just above the wrist. The upper wound Measured 4inches long, and half an inch deep in the deepest place the lower one was three inches long and not quite so deep. The hemorrhage was so suppressed by the time he arrived that he could not say. that blood vessels had been severed. He dressed the wounds. He did not anticipate any ultimate danger, or permanent damage. The wound might have been inflicted by the knife produced. The defendant was committed for trial to the next Quarter Sessions at Lampeter, bail being admitted in the same sums as on the occasion of the previous remand.

Linked to
Castle Inn , Llanon