The database currently contains details of 1002 pubs and other premises, 256 places and 209 people. There are also 329 photos and postcards, 80 pub signs, 672 newspaper articles, 253 maps and 104 documents. About 134 pubs are still open.
Use the options below to search the database.
N.B. Some pubs do not appear on the maps as we do not have a definite location for them.
Other names: Address/Location: OS Grid Ref:
open 2017 Type:
Meeting place of the Bee-hive, established or first registered: 1855, after they left the Red Lion, Pontrhydfendigaid.
(JD Pratt’s list, printed, no. 93, date of approval by Pratt 23.6.1855)
Licensee: Evans, John
Slater’s Directory, 1868
licensee: Mrs. Evans (Worrall’s Directory, 1875)
1883 - Sale of contents on behalf of Mrs Evans, who was retiring.
Lic. Thomas Jenkins
Owner 1889-1892: J.M.Davies, Antaeron, Aberystwyth
Licensee 1889-1892: David Jenkins
Transferred to Tregaron Petty Sessional Division, 1892
Register of Licences, Ilar Hundred, 1889-1924 with additions to 1952, Ceredigion Archives, TPS/LLI/1/7
"The freehold public house and premises, the Black Lion, occupied by Mr Hugh Arch, were next offered. After the bidding had reached £575, the Auctioneer took £10 bids, the Lot being knocked down to Mr D. M. Davies at £600." CN 16 July 1897
Petty Sessions: Tregaron; number on list: 19; name of premises: Black Lion Hotel; Parish / Place: Pontrhydfendigaid; Licensee: Jenkins, David; owner or tenant : tenant; registered owner : City Brewery, Litchfield; free or tied: tied; tied to: City Brewery; type of licence: full; on or off licence: on; number of licenced days per week: 7. (1905 list)
Spring found in grounds
Open on Good Friday