Explore the database

The database currently contains details of 1002 pubs and other premises, 256 places and 209 people. There are also 329 photos and postcards, 80 pub signs, 672 newspaper articles, 253 maps and 104 documents. About 134 pubs are still open.

Use the options below to search the database.

N.B. Some pubs do not appear on the maps as we do not have a definite location for them.

Quick search

    Search for:
    Browse the database     Advanced search
Something not right? Got extra information? Please contact us and tell us more!

Details of pub: Cross Inn, Llanddewi Brefi

Other names:
OS Grid Ref: SN6631255300 probably
Opened: c.      
Closed: 1939       Type: Pub
Summary: Location is a process of elimination, based on the five pubs on the 1905 map. This is the only one that is by a crossroads.

Notes: 1861 Census
David Beynon, Wid 67, Innkeeper

Licensee: Beynon, David
Slater’s Directory, 1868

licensee: William Beynon (Worrall’s Directory, 1875)

" Transfer of Licence. The Bench granted an application for a transfer of the licence of the Cross Inn, Llanddewi Brefi, from Edmund Edmunds, saddler, Lampeter, trustee of W Beynon, late of Cross Inn, deceased, to John Davies, late licence -holder of the Red Lion Inn, Llanddewi Brefi" CN 30 Jan 1891

"Trosglwyddwyd trwydded y Cross Inn, Llanddewi-brefi oddiwrth John Davies i Miss Eleanor Mary Davies. " Brython Cymreig 1 Dec 1893
Petty Sessions: Tregaron; number on list: 31; name of premises: Cross Inn; Parish / Place: Llanddewi Brefi; Licensee: Evans, Richard; owner or tenant : tenant; registered owner : Mr Phillip Rees, Tregaron; free or tied: free; tied to: [blank]; type of licence: full; on or off licence: on; number of licenced days per week: 6. (1905 list)

Cross inn, David Evans, Llanddewi Brefi, Llanio Road,
Cardiganshire - Kelly's Directory

Closed, Compensation presumably paid but minute book ends.
(County Licencing Committee, 1905-1938 Ceredigion Archives, Cards/QS/L/1)
Licensing Committee. Decision to close the pub and pay compensation of £228
Cardigan and Tivyside Advertiser, 13 Jan. 1939

Additional information