Explore the database

The database currently contains details of 1002 pubs and other premises, 256 places and 209 people. There are also 329 photos and postcards, 80 pub signs, 672 newspaper articles, 253 maps and 104 documents. About 134 pubs are still open.

Use the options below to search the database.

N.B. Some pubs do not appear on the maps as we do not have a definite location for them.

Quick search

    Search for:
    Browse the database     Advanced search
Something not right? Got extra information? Please contact us and tell us more!

Details of pub: Star Inn, Ysbyty Ystwyth

Other names: Y Seren
OS Grid Ref: SN7318771525
Opened: c.      
Closed: NOT KNOWN       Type: Pub
Summary: Meeting place of the Y Phenix Friendly Society, established or first registered: 1840 (NLW Misc. Vol. 190 (typescript of Rules in Welsh, from edition printed by E Williams, 1840)
Also meeting place of the Ivorites (1875)

Notes: 1875
Meeting of the Ivorites see attachment
Landlord: John Pryse
1880: Death of Mr John Jones, late innkeeper and farmer, Star Inn, aged 65 AO 17 Apr 1880
1880: Death of Mr John Pryse, Star Inn, aged 54 CN 15 Oct 1880
Owner, 1889: F. Z.,Gibbs, Middlesex
Owner, 1890-1892: The Earl of Lisburne
Licensee 1889-1892: John Price,
1892 Transferred to Tregaron Petty Sessional Division
Register of Licences, Ilar Hundred, 1889-1924 with additions to 1952, Ceredigion Archives, TPS/LLI/1/7

Petty Sessions: Tregaron; number on list: 34; name of premises: Star Inn; Parish / Place: Ysbyty Ystwyth; Licensee: Howells, Thomas; owner or tenant : tenant; registered owner : Crosswood estate; free or tied: free; tied to: [blank]; type of licence: full; on or off licence: on; number of licenced days per week: 6. (1905 list)
Bills for payment to Mr Howell, Star Inn, Ysbytty from Tregaron Rural District Council
Ceredigion Archives, ADX 433/8

Additional information


Ysbyty Ystwyth, 25 inch map, 1905



Postcard showing Star Inn

Date: 1910 (approx)


Ivorites meeting

Date: 1875


Drunk at the Star Inn

Date: 1888


Extended hours for Eisteddfod

Date: 1914