N.B. Some pubs do not appear on the maps as we do not have a definite location for them.
Details of pub: Rose Hill Arms, Llanarth
Other names: Rose Hill TavernAddress/Location: OS Grid Ref:
c. 1916 Type:
Location: on 1890 and 1905 25-inch maps as PH. 2017 Ceredigion map shows Rose Villa and Rose Cottage where the PH was, so that seems to be conclusive.
The 1882 report (below) mentions a Red Lion Benefit Club meeting at the Rose Hill. Does this imply a change of name of the pub, or that the Club moved premises?Notes:
Letter to the paper "Q. 2. " Did any of the Dissenters sign it ?" A. Yes their names are Mr Griffith Davies, Rose Hill Arms, and Mr D. Rees, watchmaker-Dissenters to the backbone."" Welshman 11 Dec 1868
Rose Hill Tavern, licensee: Griffith Davies (Worrall’s Directory, 1875)
"LLANARTH BENEFIT CLUB DINNER. The Red Lion Benefit Club had its annual dinner at the Rose Hill Arms, The host and hostess Mr and Mrs Davies, were praised, and ample justice was done to the good things provided." CN 6 Jan 1882
"LLANARTH. BENEFIT SOCIETY. The anniversary of The Llanarth Independent Benefit Society" was held on New Year's Day. It was arranged that the members should meet at Vronwen Chapel to hear a sermon from the Rev H. Pritchard (W.), Aberayron, who delivered an eloquent discourse on Pro. xxii. 1. The members then repaired to Rose Hill Arms to partake of their annual dinner, pre- p ired by Mrs Davies. All seemed well satisfied with the ample and substantial preparation. This society is in a flourishing condition. New members are annually added, and the capital increased. " CN 4 Jan 1884
Petty Sessions: Aberaeron; number on list: 30; name of premises: Rose Hill Arms; Parish / Place: Llanarth; Licensee: Davies, Margaret; owner or tenant : owner ; registered owner : Mary Davies, Rose Hill Ars, Llanarth; free or tied: Free; tied to: [blank]; type of licence: full; on or off licence: on; number of licenced days per week: 6. (1905 list)
Sale catalogue: ‘Country Residence in the Village of Llanarth, known as “Gwynfryn”, ... For sale by auction on Thursday, the 11th day of September, 1913, at the “Rose Hill Arms”, Llanarth, at 1.30 p.m.,
Lot 40. All that Freehold Fully Licensed Public House, known as “Rose Hill Arms”, Llanarth, now in the occupation of Mr Evan Davies (subject to a lease made between Eliza Lloyd and Griffith Davies).
Ceredigion Archives, MUS/95/3
1914 - recommended for compensation
Closed, Compensation £256
(County Licencing Committee, 1905-1938 Ceredigion Archives, Cards/QS/L/1)
"Rose Hill Arms, Llanarth. Licensee and lessee, Mr. Evan Davies;. owner, Mr. R. Lloyd, 49. Pembroke square, Kensington, London; ground rent, £1 17s. 6d.; 'poor law assessment, £ 10 gross; licensed duty, £10; average barrels of beer, 64 l/3rd; gallons of spirits, 20 dozen bottles. 22; Valuer's estimate, R253 Is.10d. claim £451 8s. The Valuer reported that the house was constructed as two houses and had two front doors, and could be reconverted. Two rooms on the first floor are used as a shoemaker's shop. Air. Pennant James appeared for the claimants and Air. W. J. Phillips, auctioneer. Aberayron. gave evidence. The Committee allowed £256." CN 10 July 1914