Explore the database

The database currently contains details of 991 pubs and other premises, 256 places and 209 people. There are also 309 photos and postcards, 80 pub signs, 662 newspaper articles, 252 maps and 104 documents. About 138 pubs are still open.

Use the options below to search the database.

N.B. Some pubs do not appear on the maps as we do not have a definite location for them.

Quick search

    Search for:
    Browse the database     Advanced search
Something not right? Got extra information? Please contact us and tell us more!

Details of pub: Synod Inn, Llanarth

Other names: Horse and Plough
Address/Location: Post-Mawr / Synod Inn
OS Grid Ref: SN4035154385
Opened: c.      
Closed: open 2017       Type: Pub
Summary: There was a building marked 'Black Cock P.H.,' on maps of the 1820s and 1830s to the south east of the cross roads. It appears to have been replaced by a pub on the north west corner.

A map and list of all properties, farms and fields of 1814-1816 shows that there was a building here known as the Horse and Plough which might be an earlier name for the pub.
Admeasurments and Valuation of the Parishes of Llanarth and Llanilar in the County of Cardigan. The Tithes of which belong to the See of St David. By William Couling, Brecon, 1814 and 1815, Ceredigion Archives, AXD/32, p. 78, plots 162-173, to accompany the set of maps ADX176 [also by William Couling], 1814-1816, map 4.

1850s - meeting place for Mr Vaughan's hounds.



Notes: 1841
licensee: Jones, David
Petty Sessions, Aberaeron, NLW 20887, 15.9.1841, 29.9.1841
1842
licensee: Jones, David
Petty Sessions, Aberaeron, NLW 13867, 31.8.1842, p. 61
1843
licensee: Jones, David
Petty Sessions, Aberaeron, NLW 13867, 30.8.1843, p. 120
1844
licensee: Jones, David
Petty Sessions, Aberaeron, NLW 13867, 28.8.1844, p. 181
1845
licensee: Evans, David (new tennant)
Petty Sessions, Aberaeron, NLW 13868, 27.8.1845, p. 244
1846
licensee: Evans, David
Petty Sessions, Aberaeron, NLW 13868, 26.8.1846, p. 292
1847
licensee: Evans, David
Petty Sessions, Aberaeron, NLW 13868, 8.9.1847, p. 337
1848
licensee: Evans, David
Petty Sessions, Aberaeron, NLW 13868, 23.8.1848, p. 368
1849
licensee: Evans, David
Petty Sessions, Aberaeron, NLW 13868, 22.8.1849, p. 405
1850
licensee: Evans, David
Petty Sessions, Aberaeron, NLW 13868, 21.8.1850, p. 441


1868
Sinod Arms, Cardigan Road, Licensee: Evans, Evan
Slater’s Directory, 1868 (not in Worrall's directory, 1875)

1904
Marked as Synod Inn
6 inch map, revised 1904, published 1906
1905
Petty Sessions: Aberaeron; number on list: 32; name of premises: Synod Inn; Parish / Place: Llanarth; Licensee: Jones, Daniel; owner or tenant : owner ; registered owner : Daniel Jones, Synod Inn, Llanarth; free or tied: Free; tied to: [blank]; type of licence: full; on or off licence: on; number of licenced days per week: 7. (1905 list)

Additional information

Document:

Black Cock Inn, Synod Inn, map, S.W. Circuit, 1834

Date:

Map:

6 inch OS Map, (1906)

Date:

Map:

Synod Inn, 1 inch map, 1897

Date:

Map:

Synod Inn, 25 inch map, 1905

Date:

Document:

Map (detail) of Llanarth and Llanina, 1814-1815

Date:

Document:

Map (detail) of Llanarth and Llanina, 1814-1815

Date:

Document:

Tithe map, 1840s showing 'Horse and Plough'

Date: