Explore the database

The database currently contains details of 1001 pubs and other premises, 256 places and 209 people. There are also 322 photos and postcards, 80 pub signs, 670 newspaper articles, 253 maps and 104 documents. About 136 pubs are still open.

Use the options below to search the database.

N.B. Some pubs do not appear on the maps as we do not have a definite location for them.

Quick search

    Search for:
    Browse the database     Advanced search
Something not right? Got extra information? Please contact us and tell us more!

Details of pub: Red Lion Inn, Mydroilyn

Other names: Cock; Red Cock
Address/Location:
OS Grid Ref: SN457552
Opened: c.      
Closed: NOT KNOWN       Type: Pub
Summary: Named the Red Lion by 1827 and the Red Cock by 1834, but reverted to the name Red Lion by 1851.

There was another Red Lion pub in the area.

(Passmore, Sue, Llannarth Land and People, pp. 537, 539, 540, 545)

Notes: 1814-1816
A 'Public House' was marked on an early tithe map.
Admeasurments and Valuation of the Parishes of Llanarth and Llanilar in the County of Cardigan. The Tithes of which belong to the See of St David. By William Couling, Brecon, 1814 and 1815, Ceredigion Archives, AXD/32, p. 133, plot 105, (with accompanying maps ADX176 [also by William Couling], 1814-1816, map 6.
1841
licensee: Jones, John / Jones, Ann
Petty Sessions, Aberaeron, NLW 20887, 15.9.1841, 29.9.1841
1842
licensee: Jones, Mary
Petty Sessions, Aberaeron, NLW 13867, 31.8.1842, p. 61
1843
licensee: Jones, Mary
Petty Sessions, Aberaeron, NLW 13867, 30.8.1843, p. 120
1844
licensee: Jones, Mary
Petty Sessions, Aberaeron, NLW 13867, 28.8.1844, p. 181
1845
licensee: Jones, Elizabeth
Petty Sessions, Aberaeron, NLW 13868, 27.8.1845, p. 244
1846
licensee: Jones, Elizabeth
Petty Sessions, Aberaeron, NLW 13868, 26.8.1846, p. 292
1847
licensee: Jones, Elizabeth
Petty Sessions, Aberaeron, NLW 13868, 8.9.1847, p. 337
1848
licensee: Jones, Elizabeth
Petty Sessions, Aberaeron, NLW 13868, 23.8.1848, p. 368
1849
licensee: Jones, Elizabeth
Petty Sessions, Aberaeron, NLW 13868, 22.8.1849, p. 405
1850
licensee: Jones, Elizabeth
Petty Sessions, Aberaeron, NLW 13868, 21.8.1850, p. 441
1871-1873
Licences for Evan Richards of the Red Lion, Mydroylyn, Llanarth, from 11 Oct. 1871 to 10 Oct. 1873. [Evan Richard also had a licence for the Gilfach Arms, Mydroilyn in the same year].
National Library of Wales, Evan Richards Papers, 8, 9
1875
licensee: David Jones (Worrall’s Directory, 1875)
1905
Petty Sessions: Aberaeron; number on list: 33; name of premises: Red Lion Inn; Parish / Place: Mydroilyn; Licensee: Davies, William; owner or tenant : owner ; registered owner : William Davies etc; free or tied: Free; tied to: [blank]; type of licence: full; on or off licence: on; number of licenced days per week: 6. (1905 list)
Late 19th-early 20th c.
Photograph of Red Lion Inn, Mydroilyn , with pony and trap outside and a couple in the doorway.
Ceredigion Archives ADX/1161/6
1917
Closed, Compensation £400
(County Licencing Committee, 1905-1938 Ceredigion Archives, Cards/QS/L/1)

Additional information

Map:

Mydroilyn, 25 inch, 1905

Date:

Map:

Mydroilyn, 25 inch, 1890

Date:

Map:

Maps of Llanarth and Llanina, 1814-1815, map 6

Date:

Photograph:

Red Lion, Mydroilyn

Date: 1900 (approx)