The database currently contains details of 991 pubs and other premises, 256 places and 209 people. There are also 313 photos and postcards, 80 pub signs, 662 newspaper articles, 252 maps and 104 documents. About 138 pubs are still open.
Use the options below to search the database.
N.B. Some pubs do not appear on the maps as we do not have a definite location for them.
Other names: Address/Location:
Spring Gardens OS Grid Ref:
Owned by S A Brains the Brewery, who decided to close it and turn it into a bedroom annexe for the Penwig Hotel, which they also own.Notes:
Tithe Map Name Llanllwchaearn
Field Number 8
Field Name Dolly Inn
Occupier James Davies
Tithe Value 2s.
Passmore, Susan, The Streets of New Quay, 2015, pp. 173-176
John Jones applies to take over licence. Mary Evans owns the property. see att.
"Complaints having been received of a nuisance arising from the existence of a dunghill at the back of Wellington Inn, on the premises of Dolau Inn, the medical officer and the inspector of nuisances were instructed to examine the place and to take such steps as they might deem necessary" CN 10 Nov 1882
A transfer of Dolau Inn, New Quay, from Abraham Davies to James Davies was granted. 27 April 1900
Petty Sessions: Aberaeron; number on list: 39; name of premises: Dolau Inn; Parish / Place: New Quay; Licensee: Davies, James; owner or tenant : tenant; registered owner : John Thomas, Frondolau, New Quay; free or tied: tied; tied to: Buckley Brewery; type of licence: full; on or off licence: on; number of licenced days per week: 6. (1905 list)