Explore the database

The database currently contains details of 991 pubs and other premises, 256 places and 209 people. There are also 310 photos and postcards, 80 pub signs, 662 newspaper articles, 252 maps and 104 documents. About 138 pubs are still open.

Use the options below to search the database.

N.B. Some pubs do not appear on the maps as we do not have a definite location for them.

Quick search

    Search for:
    Browse the database     Advanced search
Something not right? Got extra information? Please contact us and tell us more!

Details of pub: Castle Inn, Llanon / Llan-non, Llannon

Other names:
Address/Location: SY23 5HG
OS Grid Ref: SN5154067026
Opened: before 1841      
Closed: after 1911       Type: Pub
Summary: Pub closed - Site now occupied by residential property, Arosfa.
This is not the same as The Castle, Llansantffraid.

Notes: 1836
licensee: Evans, John
Petty Sessions, Aberaeron, NLW 20887, 14.9.1836
1837-1842
Not listed in Petty Sessions list
1841
Castle occupied by Sarah Jones;
Census, 1841
1843
licensee: Jones, John
Petty Sessions, Aberaeron, NLW 13867, 30.8.1843, p. 120
1844
licensee: Jones, John
Petty Sessions, Aberaeron, NLW 13867, 28.8.1844, p. 181
1845
licensee: Jones, John
Petty Sessions, Aberaeron, NLW 13868, 27.8.1845, p. 244
1846
licensee: Jones, John
Petty Sessions, Aberaeron, NLW 13868, 26.8.1846, p. 292
1847
licensee: Jones, John (crossed out) 'gives up'
Petty Sessions, Aberaeron, NLW 13868, 8.9.1847, p. 337
1848
licensee: Thomas, John
Petty Sessions, Aberaeron, NLW 13868, 23.8.1848, p. 368
1849
licensee: Thomas, John
Petty Sessions, Aberaeron, NLW 13868, 22.8.1849, p. 405
1850
licensee: Thomas, John
Petty Sessions, Aberaeron, NLW 13868, 21.8.1850, p. 441

1851
Castle occupied by Ann Jones, mariner's daughter;
Census, 1851
1861
Castle Inn occupied by John Jones, innkeeper;
Census, 1861
1868
Licensee: John P. Jones
Slater’s Directory, 1868
1869 Dec 1st John Price Jones, bachelor, mariner of Castle Inn, father John Jones, innkeeper marries Magdalene Edwards, spinster of Troedyrhiw, father Richard Edwards, master mariner.
Llansantffraed parish register.
1871 Castle Inn occupied by John Jones, innkeeper;
1875 licensee: John P. Jones (Worrall’s Directory, 1875)
1881 Castle Inn occupied by John Evans, innkeeper;
1893
John Evans fined 7/6d + costs for permitting drunkenness. Brython Cymreig 7 April 1893
1891 Castle Inn occupied by Magdalene Davies, innkeeper; 1901 Castle Inn occupied by John Evans, licenced victualler; 1911 Castle occupied by Anne Jenkins, innkeeper.

1905
Petty Sessions: Aberaeron; number on list: 48; name of premises: Castle Inn; Parish / Place: Llanon; Licensee: Evans, John; owner or tenant : owner ; registered owner : John Evans, Castle Inn, Llanon; free or tied: free; tied to: [blank]; type of licence: full; on or off licence: on; number of licenced days per week: 7. (1905 list)

"Transfer of License. Mrs Ann Jenkins, "Star of Isle," Llannon, applied for the transfer of the license of the Castle Inn, Llannon, to her. Mr D. P. James, solicitor, appeared for the applicant. The Chief Constable said that he desired it, to be made a condition. that the old tenants be not permitted, not only to act as agents or assistants, but that they shall not enter the premises." The Bench granted the transfer, subject to these conditions" Cambrian News 24 Feb 1905

1915
Castle Hotel bought by Mr John Jones, Fronfoel Farm for £306 (Cambrian News 1st October 1915)

1919
Listed for closure by the local licencing committee, Valued for compensation at £79. Licence temporary renewed because of lack of compensation funds, but paid (and the pub closed) within a short time.
(County Licencing Committee, 1905-1938 Ceredigion Archives, Cards/QS/L/1)



Additional information