The database currently contains details of 1002 pubs and other premises, 256 places and 209 people. There are also 327 photos and postcards, 80 pub signs, 672 newspaper articles, 253 maps and 104 documents. About 135 pubs are still open.
Use the options below to search the database.
N.B. Some pubs do not appear on the maps as we do not have a definite location for them.
Other names: Address/Location:
Stryd yr Ysgol, LLANON OS Grid Ref:
before 1851 Closed:
after 1911 Type:
Appears in 1851 census as Swan occupied by Eleanor Davies, ale merchant.
In 1861 Swan Inn is occupied by John Jones, master mariner. In 1871 Swan Inn is occupied by John Jones, innkeeper.
In 1881 Swan inn is occupied by Evan Evans, publican.
In 1891 Swan Inn is occupied by Evan Evans, innkeeper.
In 1901 Swan Inn is occupied by Jenkin Evans, Pub keeper.
licensee: John Jones (Worrall’s Directory, 1875)
In 1911 Swan is occupied by Jenkin Evans, licenced victualler. In a valuation list found in a local attic dated between 1884-1887 Swan is owned and occupied by Evan Evans.
Petty Sessions: Aberaeron; number on list: 50; name of premises: Swan Inn; Parish / Place: Llanon; Licensee: Evans, Jenkin; owner or tenant : tenant; registered owner : John Evans, 13 Lower James Street, Tredegar; free or tied: Free; tied to: [blank]; type of licence: full; on or off licence: on; number of licenced days per week: 6. (1905 list)
Listed for closure by the local licencing committee, Valued for compensation at £132. Licence temporary renewed because of lack of compensation funds, but paid (and the pub closed) within a short time.
(County Licencing Committee, 1905-1938 Ceredigion Archives, Cards/QS/L/1)
People associated with this establishment Davies, Ann [-13/06/1850]