The database currently contains details of 1002 pubs and other premises, 256 places and 209 people. There are also 327 photos and postcards, 80 pub signs, 672 newspaper articles, 253 maps and 104 documents. About 135 pubs are still open.
Use the options below to search the database.
N.B. Some pubs do not appear on the maps as we do not have a definite location for them.
Other names: Address/Location:
40 High Street OS Grid Ref:
In existence 1830-1938 (Glen Johnson's list from Trade Directories, Census returns etc.)
Opposite and a few doors down from the Shire Hall - see map - on 1889 OS. Now demolished, part of the memorial garden.Notes:
"DEATHS. On the 9th instant, at Cardigan, aged six months, the infant daughter of Mr. John Edwards, of the Three Mariners Inn." Welshman 12 Oct 1855
Petty Sessions: Cardigan; number on list: 14; name of premises: Three Mariners; Parish / Place: Cardigan; Licensee: James, Elizabeth; owner or tenant : tenant; registered owner : Mrs G.H. Mathias, High Street, Cardigan; free or tied: free; tied to: [blank]; type of licence: full; on or off licence: on; number of licenced days per week: 6. (1905 list)
"The licence of the Three Mariners was transferred to Mrs Richards, wife of the licensee, who had gone to Australia." County Echo 4 Feb 1909
Closed, Compensation proceeded with, but minute book ends.
(County Licencing Committee, 1905-1938 Ceredigion Archives, Cards/QS/L/1)
Licensing Committee. Decision to close the pub and pay compensation of £373
Cardigan and Tivyside Advertiser, 13.Jan. 1939