N.B. Some pubs do not appear on the maps as we do not have a definite location for them.
Other names: Address/Location:
41 Mwldan OS Grid Ref:
SN17694616 approx Opened:
In existence 1861-1914 (Glen Johnson's list from Trade Directories, Census returns etc.)
2017 Ceredigion map: there's no 41 Mwldan - it would be in what is now Queen's Terrace.Notes:
licensee: Rowell[sic: should be Howell] Thomas (Worrall’s Directory, 1875)
Howell Thomas, 69, Plasterer and Innkeeper, Plasterer's Arms, 41 Mwldan
"EXAMINATION. We are pleased to learn that Mr. Wm. Thomas, son of Mr. Howell Thomas, Plasterer's Arms, successfully passed the elementary examination (1st class, and Queen's prize) in Geometry and Building Construction, at the recent examination in connection with the Science and Art Department at South Kensington. Also, he obtained a Prize in both subjects in a test examination, held in classes previous to the Government examination." Cgn Obs 26 Aug 1882
Plasterer's Arms and adjacent properties auctioned - see att.
Mary Anna Davies is barmaid - see att.
Petty Sessions: Cardigan; number on list: 22; name of premises: Plasterers' Arms; Parish / Place: Cardigan; Licensee: Johns, Thomas; owner or tenant : owner; registered owner : T Johns, Plasterers' Arms; free or tied: free; tied to: [blank]; type of licence: full; on or off licence: on; number of licenced days per week: 6. (1905 list)
Fight with neighbour - see att
"The nearest licensed house was the Plasterer's Arms, Mwldan, which was about 100 yards away. The latter house had four rooms on the ground floor, and six bedrooms. It also had a yard and stables, and was a larger and better house than the Drawbridge Inn, and was situated in a more convenient place for the public. In his opinion there was a larger trade there than at the Drawbridge Inn. The rateable value was £11 5s, and the stables were separately rated." WGWWA 5 March 1908
"Marriage. At Tyrhos Independent Chapel on the 24th inst., by the Rev. Morda Evans, pastor of Hope Chapel, the marriage took place between Mr. Daniel Howell Johns, of Plasterer's Arms and Miss Elizabeth Thomas, of Pendre. " WGWWA 5 Nov 1908
Closed, Compensation £213
(County Licencing Committee, 1905-1938 Ceredigion Archives, Cards/QS/L/1)