N.B. Some pubs do not appear on the maps as we do not have a definite location for them.
Other names: Address/Location:
29 High Street OS Grid Ref:
open 2019 Type:
In existence from at least 1761 (Glen Johnson's list from Trade Directories, Census returns etc.)
By the 1960s it was known as 'The Black' and held regular dances with local pop groups, and Bingo sessions.
There are a few references to a Black Lion Inn in 1840s and 50s, probably this place. It seems to have been used as the official Excise store in the late 1840s.
Oct 2017 closed and for sale. 2019 now open again.Notes:
‘the Black Lion tolerably good, it is lately refitted by two young men brothers - they come from London by the name of Dickens.'
Anon, Diary of Journey into Wales, 1789, NLW Cwrt Mawr 199 B
Meeting of gentlemen to discuss buying a shipload of Barley. Pembs Herald 10 Mar 1847
Run by Messrs Weston and Parker (Pembs Herald)
"Daniel Rowlands, Excise Officer, against Wm. Jones, Angel Inn, for selling beer without a licence. Fined in the mitigated penalty of £ 5, with a recommendation for its reduction to £1 10s. Same against Ben Davies, Market House Inn, Cardigan, for like offence. Fined in like manner. Same against Thomas Evans, Black Lion Inn. Fined in like manner." Welshman 10 April 1863 ??? There's no evidence of a separate 'Black Lion Inn' - was this a member of staff who was moonlighting?
Licensee: Thos. Parker
Slater’s Directory, 1868
Bills from Thomas Parker of the Black Lion Hotel, Cardigan, for hospitality. Items include breakfasts, lunches, dinners, attendance, hollands and small ale.
See MUS/59/30/2/6/42 for other accommodation bill.
Ceredigion Archives, MUS/59/30/2/3/3 1-11
licensee: Thos. Parker (Worrall’s Directory, 1875)
22 January 1880
Itemised bill from the Black Lion Hotel to Mr S. Jones.
Ceredigion Archives, PE/7/24
5 June 1883
Plans for the Black Lion Hotel in Cardigan, property of G. F. W. Miles, approved by William Woodward on 22 August, 1883.
Ceredigion Archives, PE/6/4 and 34
20 February 1885
temised bill from the Black Lion Hotel, Cardigan.
Ceredigion Archives, PE/7/15
The Cardigan Habitat of the Primrose League (no. 636) met here for the first time in January 1886.
Cardigan History column, Cardigan and Tivyside Advertiser, 24.11.1939
Draft lease for the ‘Black Lion’ hotel, and the farms ‘Old Castle’ and ‘Netpool’ in Cardigan, between C. W. Miles and Mr Jacob Trollip.
Ceredigion Archives, PE/2/46
Petty Sessions: Cardigan; number on list: 26; name of premises: Black Lion Hotel; Parish / Place: Cardigan; Licensee: Potter, George W; owner or tenant : owner; registered owner : G W Potter, Black Lion Hotel, Cardigan; free or tied: free; tied to: [blank]; type of licence: full; on or off licence: on; number of licenced days per week: 7. (1905 list)
"A temporary licence was granted to Mrs Davies, manageress, Black Lion Hotel, from Mr E Webb Potter." County Echo 4 Feb 1909
Printer's copies of posters advertising local social events, mostly taking place in the south of the county: Aberteifi Advertiser. Police Dance, Black Lion Hotel, Cardigan, 11 April 1956
Ceredigion Archives, [GB0212] LIB/79/1