The database currently contains details of 1002 pubs and other premises, 256 places and 209 people. There are also 327 photos and postcards, 80 pub signs, 672 newspaper articles, 253 maps and 104 documents. About 135 pubs are still open.
Use the options below to search the database.
N.B. Some pubs do not appear on the maps as we do not have a definite location for them.
Other names: Drawbridge Bonded StoresAddress/Location:
Lower/Middle Mwldan OS Grid Ref:
SN1766046112 probably Opened:
before 1835 Closed:
Listed as Alehouse (not PH) in compensation list
Also ran a bonded stores, possibly at the same site. See advert.
Part of Middle Mwldan is referred to as 'Drawbridge' and includes several houses.
1908: " the house was situated in the Lower Mwldan, Cardigan. There were a bar, parlour, and kitchen on the ground floor. The bar measured 14ft. 9inches by 13ft. 9inches, the parlour 15ft. by 10 feet, and the kitchen 11ft. 9 inches by 11 ft. There were four bedrooms. A small yard was at the back, but there were not adequate sanitary arrangements. The place was in a fair state of repair. There were no stables."Notes:
In existence 1835-1909 (Glen Johnson's list from Trade Directories, Census returns etc.)
Owner Daniel Davies (advert)
Liquidations: "Daniel Davies, of the Drawbridge Bonded Stores, of the Bunch of Grapes Inn, and of St. Mary-street, all in Cardigan, wine, spirit, tea, and general merchant, and ironmonger." Cardiff Times 23 Dec 1882
Petty Sessions: Cardigan; number on list: 38; name of premises: Drawbridge Inn; Parish / Place: Cardigan; Licensee: Owen, John; owner or tenant : tenant; registered owner : Swansea Old Brewery; free or tied: tied; tied to: Swansea Old Brewery; type of licence: full; on or off licence: on; number of licenced days per week: 6. (1905 list)
Closed, Compensation £95
(County Licencing Committee, 1905-1938 Ceredigion Archives, Cards/QS/L/1)