The database currently contains details of 1002 pubs and other premises, 256 places and 209 people. There are also 327 photos and postcards, 80 pub signs, 672 newspaper articles, 253 maps and 104 documents. About 135 pubs are still open.
Use the options below to search the database.
N.B. Some pubs do not appear on the maps as we do not have a definite location for them.
Other names: Address/Location:
4 Chancery Lane OS Grid Ref:
SN177460 approx Opened:
In existence 1830-1906 (Glen Johnson's list from Trade Directories, Census returns etc.)Notes:
1871 Census, Dinah Davies, Married, 38, Ship Carpenter's Wife & Innkeeper, b.Cardigan.
licensee: Daniel Davies (Worrall’s Directory, 1875)
1881 Census, Dinah Davies, Mar. Public House Keeper
"the license of the "Fat Ox" was transferred to Mr. Ebenezer Harries, and that of the Swan to Mrs. Jones" Cgn Obs 9 Dec 1882
John Stephens 29, wife Ann 30, Blacksmith and Innkeeper
Petty Sessions: Cardigan; number on list: 43; name of premises: Swan Inn; Parish / Place: Cardigan; Licensee: Stephens, John; owner or tenant : tenant; registered owner : M James, Gwalia House, Cardigan; free or tied: free; tied to: [blank]; type of licence: full; on or off licence: on; number of licenced days per week: 6. (1905 list)
Closed, Compensation £120
(County Licencing Committee, 1905-1938 Ceredigion Archives, Cards/QS/L/1)