Explore the database

The database currently contains details of 991 pubs and other premises, 256 places and 209 people. There are also 310 photos and postcards, 80 pub signs, 662 newspaper articles, 252 maps and 104 documents. About 138 pubs are still open.

Use the options below to search the database.

N.B. Some pubs do not appear on the maps as we do not have a definite location for them.

Quick search

    Search for:
    Browse the database     Advanced search
Something not right? Got extra information? Please contact us and tell us more!

Details of pub: Trewern Arms Inn, Aberporth / Aber-porth

Other names:
Address/Location:
OS Grid Ref: SN2605951512
Opened: before 1846      
Closed: 1911       Type: Inn
Summary: One report notes a customer staying overnight so technically an Inn, although marked on 1888 25-inch as P.H. Called an Inn in 1846

Notes: 1846
Inn for sale, following death of owner William Jones Howell, Bankrupt,

1875
licensee: Gwenllian Davies (Worrall’s Directory, 1875)

1877
Licensee David E Jones, wife Isabella Jones. Court report of "family squabble" CN 1 June 1877

1878
"The license of the Trewern Arms, Aberporth, was temporarily transferred from Mr. David Elias Jones to Mr. Popman, of Aberporth." Cardigan Observer 2 March 1878

1883
"Mr Samuel Poppham, Trewern Arms, Aberporth, applied for a seven days' licence instead of six days', for the convenience of medical men and others who came to the place on Sundays, as no public-house was opened in Aberporth, on that day. The bench declined to grant the application, as they had no power to extend licences they had to diminish them" Cardiff Times 15 Sept 1883

1887
"Seven days license was granted to Trewern Arms Aberporth, instead of six. " Cgn Obs 17 Sept 1887
1888
On 25-inch map as one of two P.H.s on the East side of Aberporth

1890
"Trewern Arms and Ship Inn, Aberporth, which were granted temporary licences to new tenants" CmnJnl 12 Sept 1890

1891
Provides accommodation to a drunk. see att

1898
"Wednesday, March 30th, at Trewern Arms, Aberporth, sale of Household Furniture and Public House Requisites. " Brython Cymreig 28 March 1898

1898
Landlord dies, licence not transferred at once, daughter runs pub, then someone else, then John Jones (who died) and widow now applies for transfer. Granted on temporary basis. see att

1903
"The repairs and drainage at Trewern Arms, Aberporth, were in course of construction" Sanitary Inspectors Report CN 17 April 1903

1903
"the licence of Trewern Arms was transferred to Mrs Elizabeth Daniel and that of the Sailors Safety, Dinas, to Capt Rees Williams. " CN 20 March 1903

1905
Petty Sessions: Lower Troedyraur; number on list: 8; name of premises: Trewern Arms; Parish / Place: Aberporth; Licensee: Jones, Hannah; owner or tenant : tenant; registered owner : Swansea Old Brewery; free or tied: tied; tied to: Swansea Old Brewery; type of licence: full; on or off licence: on; number of licenced days per week: 6. (1905 list)
1911
Closed, Compensation £166
(County Licencing Committee, 1905-1938 Ceredigion Archives, Cards/QS/L/1).
1911-1912
Papers relating to the closure of the pub and of the compensation paid. John Rees, the Licensee, received £8/6/0, and the owners, The Swansea Old Brewery and Davies (Cardigan) Bonded Stores Ltd, Singleton Street, Swansea. received Company £157/4/0. These also include detailed descriptions of the premises (functions and dimensions of each room) presented by PC Moses Lloyd, Police Constable, stationed at Aberporth. The Trewern Arms was 100 yards from the White Lion, and was one of three pubs in the village.
County Council Clerk’s records, Bundle of correspondence relating to the licensing of public houses in Cardiganshire, 1910-1912, Ceredigion Archives, CDC/SE/14/2

2017
Appears on Ceredigion Council map as 'Trewern' - private house

Notes submitted by Diana Rogers:
"Trewern Arms, Aberporth, was bought by T G and Ann James in c.1905 to be rebuilt as 'Avalon' - a tailors and drapers shop. (TG was also the bank manager and photographer). Ann James, (nee Williams) was Temperance and closed the pub while holding on to the licence. When TG died after WW2 Avalon was sold and the new owners (brewery) regained the licence. The public bar was in Ann James parlour. Pub was renamed 'The Headland' and run as pub/hotel until sodl and renovated as private house (Headland House). Part of garden sold off for building". Contributed 2018.

Additional information

Newspaper:

Drunk horse driver seeks accommodation

Date: 1891

Newspaper:

Transfer complications

Date: 1898

Newspaper:

Trewern Arms for sale

Date: 1846

Newspaper:

Aberporth busy with visitors

Date: 1851

Photograph:

Trewern Arms Inn c.2009

Date: 2009