The database currently contains details of 1002 pubs and other premises, 256 places and 209 people. There are also 329 photos and postcards, 80 pub signs, 672 newspaper articles, 253 maps and 104 documents. About 134 pubs are still open.
Use the options below to search the database.
N.B. Some pubs do not appear on the maps as we do not have a definite location for them.
Other names: Address/Location:
Penrhiwpal OS Grid Ref:
before 1845 Closed:
c. 1917 Type:
"Hunting Appointments: The Bronwydd Beagles will meet on Tuesday next, at Penrhiwpal Inn" Welshman 19 Dec 1845
Penrhiw [inn] Penrhiwpal, Licensee: Davies, Thomas
Slater’s Directory, 1868 (not in Worrall's directory, 1875)
Petty Sessions held in Penrhiwpal Inn AO 4 Sept 1875
On 25-inch map
Petty Sessions: Penrhiwpal; number on list: 7; name of premises: Penrhiwpal; Parish / Place: Troedyrawr; Licensee: Evans, William; owner or tenant : tenant; registered owner : Thomas Hughes Forde Hughes, Carmarthen; free or tied: free; tied to: [blank]; type of licence: full; on or off licence: on; number of licenced days per week: 6. (1905 list)
Magistrates propose to withdraw licence. Proposal withdrawn on appeal
"...objection to the renewal of the licence of Penrhiwpal Inn on the ground of structural defects — In the case of the Penrhiwpal Inn, The magistrates refused to renew the license, and ordered the house to be closed on the 5th of April next. " Cmn Jnl 10 Mar 1916
"Lot 3 and 4: Freehold agricultural property known as Nantgwylan, situate in the parishes of Llangynllo and Troedyraur, embracing an area of 207 acres, including farm- house and buildings. Lot 4, which was put up with lot 3 mentioned, consisted of a freehold small holding known as Penrhiwpal Inn (formerly a public-house) and comprising 12a. lr. 36p. The two lots were knocked down for £ 4,100 to Mr. John James, Graig, Llanfihangel-ar-arth (late of Bronarwei,, Henllan), the next highest bid being that of the present tenant." CMN Jnl 26 July 1918Additional information
Penrhiwpal, 6 inch map, 1904
Drunk and refusing to leave at the Penrhiwpal Inn