Explore the database

The database currently contains details of 991 pubs and other premises, 256 places and 209 people. There are also 310 photos and postcards, 80 pub signs, 662 newspaper articles, 252 maps and 104 documents. About 138 pubs are still open.

Use the options below to search the database.

N.B. Some pubs do not appear on the maps as we do not have a definite location for them.

Quick search

    Search for:
    Browse the database     Advanced search
Something not right? Got extra information? Please contact us and tell us more!

Details of pub: Coachbuilders Arms, Aberystwyth

Other names:
Address/Location: 18 Cambrian Place
OS Grid Ref: SN5845281684
Opened: before 1851      
Closed: 1914       Type: Pub
Notes: 1851 Census
Moor Street (no name, next to 35)
Christopher Hall, Publican

1854
MARRIAGES "6th inst, at Liverpool, Mr. Owens, draper, to Elizabeth, daughter ot Christopher Hall, of the Coach-builder's Arms, Aberystwyth." N Wales Chron 18 Nov 1854
1860
"TO BE LET, On the 12th of May next, ALL that commodious House, called the COACHBUILDER'S ARMS, situate in Moor Street, Aberystwith. Also, the STOCK on the premises to be had at a valuation. For particulars apply to Mr. Christopher Hall." AO 27 Oct 1860

1861 Census (38 Moor Street)
Christopher Hall, 63, Victualler

1865
LEASEHOLD property TO BE SOLD By Private Contract, ALL that HOUSE AND PREMISES, known as the COACHBUILDERS ARMS situate in Moor street, and within two minutes walk of the Railway Station, held under a lease, of which 42 years are unexpired, and subject to no ground rent. Apply to Mr. Christopher Hall, Railway Inn, Lewis Terrace, Aberystwyth" AO 28 Oct 1865
1868
Licensee: Jesse Baker
Slater’s Directory, 1868
1871
licensee: Jesse Baker
source: Post Office directory, 1871
1875
Coachbuilders Arms, Jesse Baker, Inn and Public House, Moor Street, Aberystwyth, (Worrall's Directory, 1875)
1875
David Roberts of the Green, Trefechan applied for the renewal of lease of The Coach Builder's Arms, Moor Street
Aberystwyth Town Council Minutes, 17.8.1875. Ceredigion Archives, ABM/SE/1/2

1877
"Mesach Williams, Coachbuilders' Arms, was charged with having two unstamped measures in his possession. Supt. Lloyd said he went into the house and found several measures not stamped. Defendant did not know the measures were deficient" CN 9 Feb 1877

1888
On 50-inch map

1895
Listed as licenced premises on Corporate Property, 16 July 1895
Aberystwyth Town Council Minutes, Ceredigion Archives, ABM/SE/1/4

1896
surrender from: David Roberts Esq to: Corporation
Ceredigion Archives, Aberystwyth Corporation Deeds, box 15.12 [This must have been renewed.]
1900
J Jones
Coach Builders Arms 20 Cambrian Place
source: Bennett's Business Directory, 1900
1905
Petty Sessions: Aberystwyth; number on list: 12; name of premises: Coachbuilder's arms; Parish / Place: Aberystwyth; Licensee: Jones, John Lloyd; owner or tenant : tenant; registered owner : David Roberts and Sons; free or tied: tied; tied to: Aberystwyth Brewery; type of licence: full; on or off licence: on; number of licenced days per week: 6. (1905 list)
1914
Closed, Compensation £267
(County Licencing Committee, 1905-1938 Ceredigion Archives, Cards/QS/L/1)
1915
TO LET, No. 18, Cambrian-street, Aberystwyth, (Formerly Coachbuilders Arms); immediate possession -Apply, David Roberts & Sons, Limited, Brewers, Aberystwyth CN 5 Feb 1915

1926
Among the many freehold properties owned by David Roberts and Sons, 31.3.1926
NLW, Roberts and Evans, David Roberts of Trefechan; CB7/7
[It appears that David Roberts continued to own the building until 1928]
1928
Sale of Coachbuilders Arms [18 Cambrian Place?], 31.8.1928 by David Roberts for £450 to Mr H Cadwalader
NLW , Roberts and Evans, David Roberts of Trefechan; CB7/7




Additional information

Map:

Cambrian Street, Aberystwyth, 50 inch, 1905

Date:


People associated with this establishment
Hall, Christopher [c.1798-1872]