N.B. Some pubs do not appear on the maps as we do not have a definite location for them.
Details of pub: George Borrow, PonterwydOther names: Gogerddan Arms, The HotelAddress/Location: OS Grid Ref:
before 1853 Closed:
open 2017 Type:
This was one of the inns built on the main road between Aberystwyth and England. It was originally called the Gogerddan Arms but was renamed after the famous author of 'Wild Wales', published in 1862, following his tour of Wales in 1854. (see chapter 82). It was the meeting place of the Oddfellows, Gogerddan Lodge, established or first registered: 1874
(JD Pratt’s list, addition no. 124, date of approval by Pratt 3.1.1874)
Photograph shows it was sometimes just called 'The Hotel, Ponterwyd'
Advertisment - Thomas Holmes landlord 'for seven years' - see att
Gogerddan Arms Hotel, Lester, James, hotel proprietor, Ponterwyd, (Morgan, T.O., (1864), New Guide to Aberystwyth and its Environs, (4th edition), p. 146, (1864), advert)
Licensee: Lester, James
Slater’s Directory, 1868
Gogerddan Arms Hotel, Lester, James, Aberystwyth, Ponterwyd, (Morgan, T.O., (1869), Guide to Aberystwyth and its Environs (5th edition), p. 166, (1869), advert)
Gogerddan Arms Hotel, Corbett, James, hotel proprietor, Devil's Bridge, (Anon, (1874), Morgan's New Guide to Aberystwyth, p. c, (1874)
licensee: James Corbett (Worrall’s Directory, 1875)
Seven day's licence granted to James Corbett.
Llanbadarn Fawr Petty Sessions, The Cambrian News and Merionethshire Standard, 1st September 1882
Summons fro drinking on Good Friday - see att
C P Hill prop.
Mr. John James, Goginan, applied for the transfer of the Gogerddan Arms, Ponterwyd, from Mrs. Amelia Corbett, to himself CN 1 Jan 1896
1896 advert, Thomas J Michell, prop.
Licence transferred from William Davies to E. Santall.
Petty Sessions: Llanbadarn Fawr; number on list: 5; name of premises: Gogerddan Arms Hotel; Parish / Place: Ponterwyd; Licensee: Santall, E.; owner or tenant : tenant; registered owner : City Brewery, Litchfield; free or tied: tied; tied to: City Brewery; type of licence: full; on or off licence: on; number of licenced days per week: 7. (1905 list)
Licensing. An application by Mr Ivor Evans for the transfer of the licence of the Gogerddan Arms Hotel, Ponterwyd, from Mr E Santall, to Miss Justina M Morgan, Ponterwyd, was granted" CN 8 Sept 1905