N.B. Some pubs do not appear on the maps as we do not have a definite location for them.
Details of pub: Butchers Arms, AberystwythOther names: Address/Location:
Butcher's Market / St James's Square OS Grid Ref:
before 1837 Closed:
before 1901 Type:
The Butchers Arms was located on the east side of St James's square between Princess Street and Upper Great Darkgate Street. The Liberal Club was built on the site in 1901.Notes:
On the list of premises which were provided with water by the Aberystwyth Improvement Commissioners, 1837. Occupier / Landlord: Richard Simon, 6 Butchers Market (Ceredigion Archives)
Butcher's Arms in the Butcher's market, occupied by Richard Simon.
(Orders and Proceedings of the Commissioners of the Aberystwyth Improvements and Water Works, NLW, ABR, B2(a) 12th June 1838, Committee formed to re-value several houses for water rates)
Licensee: John Morris
Slater’s Directory, 1868
Illegally slaughtering a calf - see att.
Butchers Arms, Evan Morgan, Inn and Public House, St. James's Square, Aberystwyth,
Worrall's Directory, 1875
Landlord drunk - see att.
Selling during prohibited hours - see att.
Evan Morgan Lic. (court report - see att)
Nasty accident to son - see att.
"Transfers. The licences of the Railway Inn, New Market Tavern, Butcher's Arms, and Prince Albert Hotel were transferred to Mrs Tanner, W. Jones, W. Davies, and Miss Morris respectively." CN 8 June 1894
Assignment of the property known as Butchers Arms
from Mrs Mary Jones (widow of Daniel Jones), to William Richards.
Includes detailed plan.
NLW Roberts and Evans, CB4/33 (This bundle of documents includes items relating to the later history of the site as the Liberal Club and warehouse).