The database currently contains details of 1002 pubs and other premises, 256 places and 209 people. There are also 329 photos and postcards, 80 pub signs, 672 newspaper articles, 253 maps and 104 documents. About 134 pubs are still open.
Use the options below to search the database.
N.B. Some pubs do not appear on the maps as we do not have a definite location for them.
Other names: TycoedAddress/Location:
Aberystwyth OS Grid Ref:
SN59698052 probably Opened:
NOT KNOWN Type:
Police report refers to being on duty 'near the bridge' - presumably the river bridge that is on the road to Penparcau. One report refers to a policeman on duty near Pwll Simon and seeing people entering and leaving the wooden house. Another mentions someone charged with camping beside the highway near the wooden house. It may have been demolished earlier, but the only building on the map in 1889 that it could be it seems to be the small one in the top right, near the road.Notes:
Seems to have been owned by David Morgan, brewer of Llanon, and run by Thomas Edwards?
Selling after hours. see att
J.H. Ravenhill of Queen's Road asked for the lease of WOODEN HOUSE INN, ABERYSTWYTH for Mr Edwards (NLW Nanteos, L2428, 27th July 1870)
1871 (Jan and Feb)
Thomas and Catherine Edwards in County Court over complicated 'attempt to defraud' relating to debts of Catherine's late husband. Seem to have got off.
"The little inn known as the Wooden House was nearly Carried away from its foundations, and the adjacent lowlands were transformed into a vast lake." AO 5 Nov 1870
Drinking after hours - again. See att.
Anne Oliver keeping the house on behalf of Mr Morgan, Llanon - see att.
Flooded again - see att
Auction Notice for 'Wooden House Meadow' Llanbadarn fawr. Bought by D Morgan, Blaendolau Cmn Jnl and AO - report gives area of field as 6a 1r 1p, which corresponds to field 140 on the OS map 1905.
People associated with this establishment Edwards, Catherine and Thomas [-]