Explore the database

The database currently contains details of 1001 pubs and other premises, 256 places and 209 people. There are also 322 photos and postcards, 80 pub signs, 670 newspaper articles, 253 maps and 104 documents. About 136 pubs are still open.

Use the options below to search the database.

N.B. Some pubs do not appear on the maps as we do not have a definite location for them.

Quick search

    Search for:
    Browse the database     Advanced search
Something not right? Got extra information? Please contact us and tell us more!

Details of pub: Three Tuns, Trefechan

Other names:
Address/Location: Trefechan
OS Grid Ref: SN5824581181
Opened: before 1822      
Closed: NOT KNOWN       Type: Pub
Notes: 1822
David Bevan, Three Tuns, Trefechan
(Pigot’s directory, 1822)
1830
licensee: Morris Davies, Trefechan
source: Pigot and Co, 1830
1837
On the list of premises which were provided with water by the Aberystwyth Improvement Commissioners, 1837. Occupier / Landlord: Morris Davies, 13 Trefechan (Ceredigion Archives)
1840
licensee: Morris Davies,
source: Robson's trade directory 1840
1841-1845
Morris Davies paid annual rental of rental £14 to the Nanteos estate
1846-1853
Elinor Davies paid annual rental of rental £14 to the Nanteos estate
NLW Nanteos Rentals 1772-1854

1867
"A transfer of the license of the" Three Tuns" public-house, Trefechan, was transferred to the name of John Richards."AO 16 Feb 1867

1873
Auction, Lot 183 Rent from year to year. Tenant John Richards
Ceredigion Archives MUS/50/16
1873
In AO directory as J Richard, Salt Merchant
1875
Three Tuns, Richards, John, Inn and Public House, Trefechan, Aberystwyth, (Worrall’s Directory, 1875)
1879 Auctioned due to liquidation of estate of John Richards, occupier John Felix AO 24 May 1879 see att (it didn't sell and was advertised afterwards for private sale)
1879
"TRANSFERS. The license of the Crystal Palace,from Thos Abbot to Evan Humphreys Three Tuns, from William George Clarke to Evan Foulkes, New Market Tavern, from Henry Mitchell to William Evans "Nags Head," from David Thomas (deceased) to --- Thomas. " AO 10 May 1879
1892
A charge of supplying intoxicating liquor to Police Constable William H. Davies on the 24th, when on duty without the authority of his superior officer was made against Elizabeth Lewis, Three Tuns Inn, Trefechan was withdrawn by the police.
Aberystwyth Observer 30.6.1892
1905
Not on 1905 list


Additional information

Newspaper:

For sale

Date: 1879

Newspaper:

Auction notice and detailed description of the property

Date: 1879

Newspaper:

List of pubs summonsed for using unstamped measures

Date: 1874


People associated with this establishment
Richards, John [-]