The database currently contains details of 1002 pubs and other premises, 256 places and 209 people. There are also 329 photos and postcards, 80 pub signs, 672 newspaper articles, 253 maps and 104 documents. About 134 pubs are still open.
Use the options below to search the database.
N.B. Some pubs do not appear on the maps as we do not have a definite location for them.
Details of pub: Black Cock Inn, Synod InnOther names: Post-mawr; Synod HouseAddress/Location: OS Grid Ref:
NOT KNOWN Type:
Shown on the 2 inch draft for the first OS 1 inch map, 1820s.
Also on a map of The South West Circuit, 1834 which shows it as being on the east side of the main road.
For a summary, see Passmore, Sue, Llannarth Land and People, p. 785
The 1841 Census for Llanarth has a house called Black Cock next door to Blue Bell.Notes:
Draft Ordnance Survey map
map of The South West Circuit
Synod House occupied by David Jones
David Jones, innkeeper, aged 50
David Evans, innkeeper, aged 75
David Rees, innkeeper,
David Rees's will
Elizabeth Evans, aged 68, innkeeper
Evan Jones, innkeeper, husband of Eleanor Jones, daughter of Elizabeth Evans.
Evan Jones, innkeeper
Eleanor Jones, innkeeper
Daniel Jones, innkeeper, (possibly husband of Elizabeth Jones, Eleanor's daughter)
Daniel Jones owns the inn
Land Valuation lists, 1910 Additional information