Explore the database

The database currently contains details of 992 pubs and other premises, 256 places and 209 people. There are also 319 photos and postcards, 80 pub signs, 665 newspaper articles, 252 maps and 104 documents. About 138 pubs are still open.

Use the options below to search the database.

N.B. Some pubs do not appear on the maps as we do not have a definite location for them.

Quick search

    Search for:
    Browse the database     Advanced search
Something not right? Got extra information? Please contact us and tell us more!

Details of pub: Pen-llain Inn, Penparc

Other names: Penllain Inn
Address/Location:
OS Grid Ref: SN2122548018
Opened: c.      
Closed: 1902       Type: Inn
Summary: Shown as Pen-llain (PH) on 1889 25-inch map. Marked as 'Inn' on OS 1 inch map, 1897-1898, but it is not on the 6 inch map 1904 revision.

Bought by the chapel (Capel Pen-y-Parc) and closed? 1901

Notes: 1892
"OWENS-Ionawr 21ain, yn Penllain Inn, Llangoedmore, yn ddisymwth, David Owens, morwr ac Innkeeper, yn 61 mlwydd oed. " Brython Cymreig 29 Jan 1892

1892
"The only business transacted at these sessions on Tues- day was the transfer of the license of Penllain Inn to the widow of the late licensee" Cgn Obs 16 April 1892

1893
Angry customer - see att (Assizes - not guilty)

1897
"Miss Margaret Owen, Penllain Inn, Penypark, applied for an extension of time from 10 to 12 p.m. on Whit Monday, because an eisteddfod was to be held at the Baptist Chapel in the place, and that many persons would be putting up at her house on the day, and that the eisteddfod would not finish till nearly eleven p.m. An hour's extension was reluctantly granted." Cgn Obs 15 May 1897

1901
"O ie, yr oedd yn dda genyf weled yn y DARIAN fod eglwys Penparc, ger Aberteifi, wedi prynu y ty tafarn sydd gyferbyn a'r capel. Yr oedd yn hyfrydwch mawr genyf weled eich; bod wedi concro y cryf arfog, ag oedd yn warth i gymdeithas" Tarian y Gweithiwr 4 July 1901

1903
"The friends at the Tabernacle are going in for the reduction of the number of licences in a practical manner, as did the friends of Penparc Chapel in buying the Penllain Inn, and doing away with its license. If other churches were to follow in the steps of these two, licensed houses in Cardigan would soon be reduced " WGWWA 5 Feb 1903

1903
Brewster Sessions. Licence not renewed as discontinued.

Additional information

Map:

6 inch OS Map, (1906)

Date:

Map:

Penparc Inn, 1 inch map, 1897

Date:

Newspaper:

Alleged rick-burning

Date: 1893