N.B. Some pubs do not appear on the maps as we do not have a definite location for them.
Details of pub: Prince Albert, AberystwythOther names: Court RoyaleAddress/Location:
26 Little Darkgate Street (now Eastgate) OS Grid Ref:
before 1840 Closed:
open 2017 Type:
Victoria married Albert in 1840, so the name can't be from before then. Not clear if it had another name.
Meeting place of the Oddfellows, St David's Lodge, established or first registered: 1854
(JD Pratt’s list, printed, no. 84, date of approval by Pratt 12.7.1854)
Oddfellows moved to the Market Tavern in 1890 after being given notice to quit. Cmn Jnl 28 March 1890
Photograph of the facade (no date but probably at the time Pantyfedwyn building was being erected in 1968
RCAHM (W), Aberystwyth domestic, SN58 SE, folder 4a
licensee: John Jones, 26 Little Darkgate Street
source: Robson's trade directory 1840
Location of St Davids Club dinner. See att.
licensee: John Jones,
source: Pigot and Co., 1844
licensee: John Hughes
source: Post Office directory, 1871
"Licence of the Prince Albert Inn transferred from the late John Hughes to Donald McDonald. " CN 24 May 1873
Prince Albert, Albert Lewis Jones, Inn and Public House, 26 Little Darkgate Street, Aberystwyth, (Worrall’s Directory, 1875)
(pre-1877) kept for 15 years by Mr and Mrs Ellis, later Skinners Arms - see att.
Hugh Hughes Lic, convicted for selling after hours.
Letters and other papers relating to the conveyance of the Prince Albert Hotel and cottage, Little Darkgate Street, Aberystwyth, to John James of Terrace Road, merchant, 1889
NLW Roberts & Evans, Aberystwyth (Solicitors) Records: Loose deeds and papers,
"Transfers. The licences of the Railway Inn, New Market Tavern, Butcher's Arms, and Prince Albert Hotel were transferred to Mrs Tanner, W. Jones, W. Davies, and Miss Morris respectively." CN 8 June 1894
"Transfer application. The application made by Mr Isaac Parrish for the temporary transfer of the Prince Albert Hotel from Mrs Morris, adjourned from last week, was granted, the Chief Constable stating that the enquiries he had made were most favourable " CN 13 March 1896
Petty Sessions: Aberystwyth; number on list: 27; name of premises: Prince Albert; Parish / Place: Aberystwyth; Licensee: Parrish, Isaac; owner or tenant : tenant; registered owner : David Roberts and Sons; free or tied: tied; tied to: Aberystwyth Brewery; type of licence: full; on or off licence: on; number of licenced days per week: 7. (1905 list)
Joseph Martin Lic. Prosecuted for allowing drinking outside hours. CN 28 Nov 1919
Prince Albert Hotel, Martin, J., Hotel, Little Darkgate Street, Aberystwyth, (Aberystwyth Corporation, Aberystwyth, the Biarritz of Wales, p. 97, (1923), advert)
Prince Albert Hotel and Conservative Club, Aberystwyth
Among the many freehold properties owned by David Roberts and Sons, 31.3.1926
NLW, Roberts and Evans, David Roberts of Trefechan; CB7/7
Prince Albert Hotel, Mr Devereux, P.M., hotel proprietor, Eastgate, Aberystwyth, (Anon, Official Guide, p. 44, (1950s), advert)
Prince Albert Hotel, Mr and Mrs Devereux, P.M., hotel propreitor, Eastgate, Aberystwyth, (Anon, Official Guide, p. 45, (1950s), advert)
Prince Albert Hotel, Anon, hotel proprietor, Eastgate, Aberystwyth, (Anon, Official Guide, p. 53, (1956), advert)
Prince Albert Hotel, Devereux, P.M., hotel proprietor, Aberystwyth, under new management, (Anon, Official Guide, p. 48, (1958), advert)
Prince Albert Hotel, Mr Devereux, P.M., hotel proprietor, Eastgate, Aberystwyth, (Anon, Official Guide, p. 41, (1959), advert)
People associated with this establishment McDonald, Donald [-]