N.B. Some pubs do not appear on the maps as we do not have a definite location for them.
Other names: Llain y CastellAddress/Location:
Bryn Road SA48 7EF OS Grid Ref:
c. 1881 Closed:
open 2016 Type:
Before 1881, the censuses record a ‘Caeglas’ and a ‘Greenfield’ in this vicinity, but no description of an inn or similar.
JTR - writing in The Welsh Gazette in 1934, looking back 50 years, states that
“The Castle Green was almost the first to be built in Bryn Road, and was occupied by David Walters, who at one time farmed Falcondale Farm, and later emigrated to America.”Notes:
Lease of 3 lives and 65 yrs granted on the 29th September 1880, subject to Ground rent of £1.12s
Innkeeper: Elizabeth Herbert, (Widow). (In the 1871 census, she was married to Evan Herbert, and they and their daughters were living at the lower end of College St.
Innkeeper - Morgan Jones.
He was a carpenter and was boarding at Castle Green Inn in 1881
1892 29th August
Sale of Castle Green. Full description given in advertisement in Ye Brython Cymreig August 1892
Innkeeper - Hannah Morgan
Petty Sessions: Lampeter; number on list: 15; name of premises: Castle Green; Parish / Place: Lampeter; Licensee: Hughes, David; owner or tenant : Owner; registered owner : D Hughes, Castle Green; free or tied: Free; tied to: [blank]; type of licence: full; on or off licence: on; number of licenced days per week: 7. (1905 list)
Innkeeper - Sarah Davies
In 1901 Sarah (Thomas) was a widow and the publican at The Plough Inn.
Licensee: Evan Davies
(Kellys directory, 1926)
Among the many freehold properties owned by David Roberts and Sons, 31.3.1926
NLW , Roberts and Evans, David Roberts of Trefechan; CB7/7
Frances Lloyd (Daughter of Sarah and Evan Davies)
Gerwyn & Gwenda Davies
1990s – 2015
Brian & Mavis Beynon
Castle Green still open 2016Additional information
People associated with this establishment Davies, Evan [-]