N.B. Some pubs do not appear on the maps as we do not have a definite location for them.
Details of pub: Plough Inn, Aberystwyth
Other names: Address/Location:
Mill Street SY23 1HZ OS Grid Ref:
NOT KNOWN Type:
One of a row of three pubs with the Red Lion and Cross Foxes? Actually it seems that the Plough was the Red Lion under a new name, mid 1880s?
1881 census has Red Lion next door to Cross Foxes, 1871 it's next-door-but-oneNotes:
Closed briefly. Catherine Evans licensee, owned by Roberts Brewery - see att.
1897 "PLOUGH INN, Mrs E. M. Jones. Entirely new management; good accommodation for visitors; one minute's walk from Rail- way Station. Ales and Stout and Wines and Spirits of the best quality." CBV 25 Sept 1897
Auction: "... Also all that fully licensed public house, called the "PLOUGH INN," in the occupation of Mrs E. M. Jones. This public house is held under a lease to Mr D. M. Davies terminable on the 12th day of November, 1902. The whole of the property is held under a Lease for 60 years from the 12th of November, 1864, subject to the ground rent of £ 8 which rent will be be apportioned as follows :£ 4 on the Plough Inn, 10s each on Nos. 1, 3, 5, 7, and 9. Mill-Street, and 15s each on Nos. 11 and 15, Mill street. The property is conveniently situated in one of the most frequented streets in Aberystwyth." CN 2 Aug 1901
Petty Sessions: Aberystwyth; number on list: 29; name of premises: Plough Inn; Parish / Place: Aberystwyth; Licensee: Jones, Emma M.; owner or tenant : tenant; registered owner : City Brewery, Litchfield; free or tied: tied; tied to: City Brewery; type of licence: full; on or off licence: on; number of licenced days per week: 6. (1905 list)
5 November 1912
Plans for new bath room, Plough Inn, Mill Street
ARCHITECT: William Perry
OWNER: City Brewery (Lichfield)
Ceredigion Archives ABM/BC/M/9, PLAN NO: M20
Recommended for closure by the local Licencing committee by licence renewed by the County Committee
(County Licencing Committee, 1905-1938 Ceredigion Archives, Cards/QS/L/1)