The database currently contains details of 1002 pubs and other premises, 256 places and 209 people. There are also 327 photos and postcards, 80 pub signs, 672 newspaper articles, 253 maps and 104 documents. About 135 pubs are still open.
Use the options below to search the database.
N.B. Some pubs do not appear on the maps as we do not have a definite location for them.
Other names: Address/Location:
21 Castle Street OS Grid Ref:
In existence 1840-1926 (Glen Johnson's list from Trade Directories, Census returns etc.)
There were several pubs in Cardigan at various times called the Farmers Arms: this was the last and closed in 1926, preceded by North Road in 1917.Notes:
licensee: William Phillips (Worrall’s Directory, 1875)
Petty Sessions: Cardigan; number on list: 25; name of premises: Farmers' Arms; Parish / Place: Cardigan; Licensee: Lewis, Thomas; owner or tenant : Owner; registered owner : Thomas Lewis, Farmers' Arms, Cardigan; free or tied: free; tied to: [blank]; type of licence: full; on or off licence: on; number of licenced days per week: 6. (1905 list)
Kellys Directory "Farmers' Arms, Edwd. Lewis Thomas.21 Cast!e st. Cardigan"
Closed, Compensation £322
(County Licencing Committee, 1905-1938 Ceredigion Archives, Cards/QS/L/1)