The database currently contains details of 992 pubs and other premises, 256 places and 209 people. There are also 318 photos and postcards, 80 pub signs, 662 newspaper articles, 252 maps and 104 documents. About 138 pubs are still open.
Use the options below to search the database.
N.B. Some pubs do not appear on the maps as we do not have a definite location for them.
Other names: Address/Location:
Pwllhai/St Mary's Street OS Grid Ref:
before 1732 Closed:
open 2017 Type:
In existence in 1732 (Glen Johnson's list from Trade Directories, Census returns etc.)
Inquest. See att.
"AN OX.-An accident occurred on Thursday last to a poor woman residing in Llechryd, who was tossed and trampled upon near the entrance to St. Mary-street; Cardigan, by an Ox, which was being driven to the slaughter house. It appears the animal became restive and in spite of the utmost exertions of the men who had the care of it, attacked the poor woman, whose name is Anna Jenkins, and tossed her, but as one of his horns was secured to his leg, he was unable to wreak his full vengeance he however furiously trampled upon her and her clothes were completely torn to pieces. Upon being rescued she was carried to the Red Lion Inn, when Mr. Thomas, the landlord, ill the most humane manner tendered her all the assistance in his power and supplied her with fresh apparel." Welshman 28 March 1851
licensee: Sarah James (Worrall’s Directory, 1875)
Petty Sessions: Cardigan; number on list: 18; name of premises: Red Lion Inn; Parish / Place: Cardigan; Licensee: Evans, D.R.; owner or tenant : tenant; registered owner : Morgan and Potter, Merthyr Tydfil; free or tied: free; tied to: [blank]; type of licence: full; on or off licence: on; number of licenced days per week: 7. (1905 list)