The database currently contains details of 1001 pubs and other premises, 256 places and 209 people. There are also 322 photos and postcards, 80 pub signs, 670 newspaper articles, 253 maps and 104 documents. About 136 pubs are still open.
Use the options below to search the database.
N.B. Some pubs do not appear on the maps as we do not have a definite location for them.
Other names: Square and CompassAddress/Location:
24 Castle Street, Bridgend OS Grid Ref:
before 1805 Closed:
In existence 1805-1906 (Glen Johnson's list from Trade Directories, Census returns etc.)
licensee: Thomas Jones (Worrall’s Directory, 1875)
Petty Sessions: Cardigan; number on list: 2; name of premises: Square and Compass; Parish / Place: Bridgend, Cardigan; Licensee: Davies, Mary Anne; owner or tenant : tenant; registered owner : Swansea Old Brewery; free or tied: tied; tied to: Swansea Old Brewery; type of licence: full; on or off licence: on; number of licenced days per week: 6. (1905 list)
Lic: Anne EdwardsAdditional information