Explore the database

The database currently contains details of 991 pubs and other premises, 256 places and 209 people. There are also 310 photos and postcards, 80 pub signs, 662 newspaper articles, 252 maps and 104 documents. About 138 pubs are still open.

Use the options below to search the database.

N.B. Some pubs do not appear on the maps as we do not have a definite location for them.

Quick search

    Search for:
    Browse the database     Advanced search
Something not right? Got extra information? Please contact us and tell us more!

Details of pub: Heart of Oak Inn, Aberystwyth

Other names:
Address/Location: 23 Great Darkgate Street
OS Grid Ref: SN5830681674
Opened: before 1833      
Closed: c. 1875       Type: Pub
Summary: Meeting place of the Standard of Wales' Friendly Society , established or first registered: 1833
(JD Pratt’s list, printed, no. 18, date of approval by Pratt 3.9.1833)
(Evans, George Eyre, Aberystwyth Friendly Societies' Welsh Gazette, 12.4.1900 and 19.4.1900)

Meeting place of the Ancient Britons' Benefit Society, established or first registered: 1849
(JD Pratt’s list, printed, no. 78, date of approval by Pratt 7.7.1849)


Notes: 1837
On the list of premises which were provided with water by the Aberystwyth Improvement Commissioners, 1837. Occupier / Landlord: John Hughes, 23 Great Darkgate Street (Ceredigion Archives)

1842
True Briton Benefit Society dinner. Mr and Mrs Hughes hosts. Welshman 30 Dec 1842
1845
Inquest held. Landlord J Hughes. Welshman 2 May 1845

1851
John Hughes, Heart of Oak, on jury.

1854
Death of Edward Edwards of the Heart of Oak, Great Darkgate Street. Welshman 13 Oct 1854

1871 licensee: Zophar Humphreys
source: Post Office directory, 1871
1875
Heart of Oak, Humphreys, Zophar, Inn and Public House, Great Darkgate Street, Aberystwyth, (Worrall’s Directory, 1875)

1875
Auction notice: tenant David Evans AO 11 Sept 1875

Seems to have become a shop by 1877 - see att

1905
not on the 1905 list


Additional information

Newspaper:

Advert for shop that succeeded the Heart of Oak

Date: 1877

Newspaper:

Assault charge against landlord of the Heart of Oak

Date: 1850

Newspaper:

Re-opening after re-furbishment

Date: 1867