N.B. Some pubs do not appear on the maps as we do not have a definite location for them.
Details of pub: Ship and Castle, AberystwythOther names: Flannery'sAddress/Location:
High Street / Vulcan Street corner SY23 1JQ OS Grid Ref:
before 1830 Closed:
open 2017 Type:
Meeting place of the Ancient Britons Friendly Society, est Easter 1832 (PP)Notes:
1823, 1825, 1826
licensee: Thomas Jones
St Michaels Vestry Rate lists, Ceredigion Archives, CPR/ASTM/123-128
licensee: Thomas Jones
source: Pigot and Co, 1830
William Griffiths, High Street. Retailer of Beer (might be the Ship and Castle).
Hunt and Co's Directory for Gloucester, Bristol and Welsh towns
Ship and Castle, Margaret Griffiths, High Street.
Slaters Directory, 1859
"TRANSFER OF LICENSE. The transfer of the Ship and Castle" license from the name of the late Margaret Griffiths to that of Richard Evans was made. " AO 2 Feb 1867
Ship and Castle Inn, John Lewis, head, age 36, born in Llanbadarn, licensed victualler and unemployed blacksmith.
Ship and Castle, Vulcan Street, John Lewis.
Post Office Directory of Monmouthshire and South Wales 1871
"Licence of the Ship and Castle transferred from John Lewis to William Rees Jones" CN 24 May 1873
BANKRUPTCY: "John Jewis (not Lewis, as erroneously printed in last Gazette), innkeeper and blacksmith, Ship and Castle Inn, High street, Aberystwyth"
William R. Jones
Worrall's Directory 1874
Ship and Castle, William Jones, High Street.
Slater's Directory of North and South Wales 1880
Ship and Castle
Mary Jones, head, widow, age 40, born in Llangwyryfon, publican.
Ship and Castle
John Roderick, head, age 48, born in Gwnnws, innkeeper.
Ship and Castle, John Roderick, 1 High Street.
Slater's Directory of North and Mid Wales, 1895
Landlord: John Roderick
Kelly's Directory 1895
12 y.o. boy served cider, and birched for theft. See att
Ship and Castle Miss Roderick (3 persons listed in Census)
Landladies: Misses Jane and Mary Roderick.
Kelly's Directory 1920
Tommy Edwards (was a ships' carpenter)
1945 - 1954
Kept by Will Lewis (was a policeman in London).
1954 - 1959 (thanks to Ceri Jones for this information)
Evan Edgar Jones, licensee, miner from the Rhondda Valley
Miriam Jones, wife
Ceri Jones, son
Cissian Jones, daughter
1959-1974 (thanks to Ceri Jones for this information)
Miriam Jones, licensee
1986 – Basil Evans was landlord. Commissioned a mural of a ship on the back wall at the back of the pub. Painter Andy Asser designed the mural which shows a scene from the 1850s when Aberystwyth was a busy port. The ship is the Credo which was used to take migrants from Aberystwyth to America in the 1850s. Also printed T shirts with the Ship and Castle logo on them.
Daryl Flannery gets licence
Aberystwyth Civic Society criticises the new owners for changing the name from Ship and Castle to Flannery's.
Flannery's Brewery located in the Pub at the back of the bar.
First Aberystwyth Beer Festival held. Offering around 20 real ales, from a 3.7% brew to Plassey's Dragon's Breath of 6%.
Licensee of Flannery's, Daryl Flannery, was fined £600 for selling under strength beer. The beer called 'No Eyed Deer Christmas Special' was 4.1% not 5.5% as advertised by the pub.
Oatmeal Stout, brewed at the pub wins CAMRA Champion Beer of Wales.
Won 'Ceredigion Pub of the Year 1999' for the first time.
Pete and Dee Fraser became licensees. Changed the name back to the Ship and Castle.
Voted by Ceredigion CAMRA members as 'Ceredigion Pub of the Year 2002'.
Ceredigion CAMRA selected the Ship as its 'Pub of the Year 2004'.
Pub closed down by police because the licensees Peter and Deirdre Fraser failed to renew their alcohol licence. The pub was not licensed to serve alcohol after the 4th of April. Pub put up for sale.
Landlord Ian Blair of the Mill in Mill Street continued the real ale theme. Consistently been in 'The Good Beer Guide'.
2007 – CAMRA Ceredigion Pub of the year