The database currently contains details of 1002 pubs and other premises, 256 places and 209 people. There are also 329 photos and postcards, 80 pub signs, 672 newspaper articles, 253 maps and 104 documents. About 134 pubs are still open.
Use the options below to search the database.
N.B. Some pubs do not appear on the maps as we do not have a definite location for them.
Details of pub: Carpenters Arms, AberystwythOther names: Address/Location:
(36) Bridge Street OS Grid Ref:
NOT KNOWN Type:
Location: 1859 notice refers to it being 'opposite the North and South Wales Bank' in Bridge Street. This bank appears on the Wood Map (see att) as Messrs Williams Davies Benson & Jones Bank (No 18 on map). This seems to correspond to the site now occupied by 36 Bridge Street.Notes:
Richard Jenkins of the Carpenters Arms to be petty constable Quoted in: CN 4 Aug 1882
R. Jenkins, Carpenter's Arms, Bridge Street (Pigot’s directory, 1822)
licensee: Richard Jenkins
St Michaels Vestry Rate lists, Ceredigion Archives, CPR/ASTM/123-128
licensee: Richard Jenkins,
source: Pigot and Co, 1830
On the list of premises which were provided with water by the Aberystwyth Improvement Commissioners, 1837. Occupier / Landlord: E. Griffiths, 42 Bridge Street (Ceredigion Archives)
licensee: Evan Griffith,
source: Robson's trade directory 1840
Obituary of Mrs Claton: "Some fifty years ago she came to Aberystwyth to keep house for her grandfather, the late Dr Evan Griffiths, a man of large practice at one period in his life, who resided at the Carpenter's Arms in Bridge-street." CN 15 Jan 1897
1858, taken over by John Evans. see att. Was it renamed the Castle Inn
1866 Bankruptcy notice for John Evans
Looks like there could have been another Carpenters Arms. See att licence application from 1876. The 1888 50inch map doesn't show anything on North Road.
John Evans moving from Castle Arms to Carpenters Arms
Application to open pub, 1876