The database currently contains details of 1002 pubs and other premises, 256 places and 209 people. There are also 329 photos and postcards, 80 pub signs, 672 newspaper articles, 253 maps and 104 documents. About 134 pubs are still open.
Use the options below to search the database.
N.B. Some pubs do not appear on the maps as we do not have a definite location for them.
Details of pub: Royal Oak, AberystwythOther names: Address/Location:
Little Darkgate Street (now East Gate) OS Grid Ref: Opened:
Not shown on the 1:500 maps for 1890 and 1905
Seems to have moved to Princess Street at some point after 1830
There was a Royal Oak in existence in 1847 - see notes - this one? Or Princess St.Notes:
Mary Cook, Royal Oak, Little Darkgate Street (Pigot’s directory, 1822)
licensee: John Woodcock,
source: Pigot and Co, 1830
"being a stranger in the town, he forgot the locality of the lodgings that was secured for him at the Royal Oak, and while walking about the town in searcii of his inn, he was taken into custody by defendant Jones" Welshman 1st Oct 1847Additional information