N.B. Some pubs do not appear on the maps as we do not have a definite location for them.
Details of pub: Three Horse Shoe, Aberystwyth
Other names: Three Horse ShoesAddress/Location:
1 Grays Inn Lane OS Grid Ref:
1871 Census says No 1 Grays Inn Lane, but 1889 OS Map shows it at what is now No. 23. Did it move?Notes:
licensee: David Jones
source: Post Office directory, 1871
David Jones, Mar 60 Blacksmith and Lic Vic, wife Jemima 52
Three Horse Shoes, Jemima Jones, Inn and Public House, Grays Inn Road, Aberystwyth, (Worrall’s Directory, 1875)
Mrs Hopkins. Two visitors from London
Cardigan Bay Visitor.
Transfer. On the application of Mr Ivor Evans (Mr A. J. Hughes's offices), on behalf of the Licensed Victuallers Association, the license of the Three Horse Shoes. Gray's Inn-road, was transferred from. Mr Thomas Lewis to Mr David Davies, miner, Tylors- town. The police offered no objection and stated that the applicant was of good character.
Cambrian News 9.2.1902
1902 "TO LET, the Fully-licensed House known as the "Three Horse Shoes," Gray's Inn-road, Aberystwyth.For particulars, apply to D M. Davies, 18, New-street, or Morgan and Co., Wine and Spirit Merchants, Aberystwyth. " WG&WWA 10 April 1902
"Mr. C. Massey applied for a temporary transfer of the Three Horse Shoes Inn from Dr. Lloyd, deceased, to the widow, Mrs. Lloyd. The application was granted. " WGWWA 23 April 1903
Petty Sessions: Aberystwyth; number on list: 41; name of premises: Three Horse Shoe; Parish / Place: Aberystwyth; Licensee: Lewis, Thomas; owner or tenant : tenant; registered owner : City Brewery, Litchfield; free or tied: tied; tied to: Litchfield Brewery; type of licence: full; on or off licence: on; number of licenced days per week: 7. (1905 list)
The police objected to the licences of the Freemasons Tavern Bridge street and South road (George Jenkins, occupier); Three Horse Shoe, Gray's Inn-road (Mr. David Davies); Victoria Hotel, Baker Street (Mr. T W Rees); and the Lisburn Arms Northgate street, (Ellen Bennison). The police submitted that the houses could be done away with, and that their trade was very small. There were already too many public houses in the town. The population of the town was 8,794, being 199 persons for each public house of which there were forty-four. The houses were referred to the Compensation Authority, and were provisionally renewed.
The Cambrian News and Merionethshire Standard, 7th March 1919
Mr T. C. Hughes, solicitor, applied for the temporary transfer of the licence of the Three Horse Shoe Inn, Grays Inn-road, from Mr David Davies to Mr James Pugh, Llanfihangel-y-Creuddyn.
Cambrian News 5.12.1919
Closed, Compensation £200
(County Licencing Committee, 1905-1938 Ceredigion Archives, Cards/QS/L/1)