Explore the database

The database currently contains details of 991 pubs and other premises, 256 places and 209 people. There are also 310 photos and postcards, 80 pub signs, 662 newspaper articles, 252 maps and 104 documents. About 138 pubs are still open.

Use the options below to search the database.

N.B. Some pubs do not appear on the maps as we do not have a definite location for them.

Quick search

    Search for:
    Browse the database     Advanced search
Something not right? Got extra information? Please contact us and tell us more!

Details of pub: Black Horse, Trefechan

Other names: Ty Ceffyl Du
Address/Location:
OS Grid Ref: SN5825681223
Opened: before 1837      
Closed: after 1948       Type: Pub
Summary: There was also a Black Horse in Bridge Street, just over the bridge, in 1871.


Notes: 1837
On the list of premises which were provided with water by the Aberystwyth Improvement Commissioners, 1837. Occupier / Landlord: Evan Rees, 6 Trefechan, Black Horse and Malthouse (Ceredigion Archives)
1838
Said to have dangerous cellar flaps in the street. Occupant : EVAN REES.
Orders and Proceedings of the Commissioners of the Aberystwyth Improvements and Water Works, NLW, ABR, B2(a), 10.4.1838
1862 - deserting service charge by John Rees, of the Black Lion Inn, Trefechan. Seems to be a typo for Black Horse - Welshman 22 Aug 1862
1863 "John Rees, Black Horse Inn, Trefechan, was fined Is. and costs for allowing his waggons on the road side near Trefechan. " Welshman 20 March 1863
1868
Licensee: Rees, Anne
Slater’s Directory, 1868

"The license of the Black Horse public-house, Trefechan, was transferred from the name of Elizabeth Rees to that of John Griffiths, carrier." AO 21 Mar 1868

1871
licensee: John Griffiths
source: Post Office directory, 1871
1875
Black Horse, John Griffiths, Inn and Public House, Trefechan, Aberystwyth, (Worrall's Directory, 1875)
1895
John Lewis, licensee. (Court report CN 21 June 1895)
1905
Petty Sessions: Aberystwyth; number on list: 4; name of premises: Black Horse; Parish / Place: Aberystwyth; Licensee: Lewis, John; owner or tenant : tenant; registered owner : David Roberts and Sons; free or tied: tied; tied to: Aberystwyth Brewery; type of licence: full; on or off licence: on; number of licenced days per week: 6. (1905 list)
early 20th century
Photograph by Lewis, (Lewis the Mart),
NLW, vol. 1394, no. 9862

1916
Transfer: from Ann Lewis to Jenkin Davies

1926
Black Horse Inn and 3 cottages, Trefechan
Among the many freehold properties owned by David Roberts and Sons, 31.3.1926
NLW , Roberts and Evans, David Roberts of Trefechan; CB7/7
1948
Still open in 1948 (Ceredigion Library web site), but not listed in trade directories after 1935 (Wales Trades' Directory)



Additional information

Map:

Trefechan, 25 inch, 1905

Date:

Map:

Bridge End and Black Horse, Trefechan, 50 inch, 1905

Date:

Map:

Trefechan, 25 inch, 1889

Date:

Map:

Trefechan, 50 inch, 1887

Date:

Newspaper:

Death of landlady Jane Lewis

Date: 1883


People associated with this establishment
Rees, Elizabeth [-]