The database currently contains details of 1002 pubs and other premises, 256 places and 209 people. There are also 329 photos and postcards, 80 pub signs, 672 newspaper articles, 253 maps and 104 documents. About 134 pubs are still open.
Use the options below to search the database.
N.B. Some pubs do not appear on the maps as we do not have a definite location for them.
Details of pub: Lion Hotel, TregaronOther names: Address/Location: OS Grid Ref: Opened:
NOT KNOWN Type:
This seems to be a confusion of Lions. There was a Black and a Red, and for many years Lion seems to have referred to the Black. The Red was sold in 1906 and after that it seems to have been usually referred to as the Lion Hotel, although a 1939 reference refers to a Red.
In a nutshell, the name Lion Hotel seems to have referred to one or other of the others, and there was never really a plain Lion Hotel.Notes:
Petty Sessions: Tregaron; number on list: 4; name of premises: Lion Hotel; Parish / Place: Tregaron; Licensee: Jones, Margaret E; owner or tenant : joint owners; registered owner : Margaret and E Patsy Jones, Lion Hotel; free or tied: Free; tied to: [blank]; type of licence: full; on or off licence: on; number of licenced days per week: 6. (1905 list)
Closed, Compensation £402