Explore the database

The database currently contains details of 1001 pubs and other premises, 256 places and 209 people. There are also 322 photos and postcards, 80 pub signs, 670 newspaper articles, 253 maps and 104 documents. About 136 pubs are still open.

Use the options below to search the database.

N.B. Some pubs do not appear on the maps as we do not have a definite location for them.

Quick search

    Search for:
    Browse the database     Advanced search
Something not right? Got extra information? Please contact us and tell us more!

Details of pub: Red Lion, Lampeter / Llanbedr Pont Steffan

Other names:
Address/Location: 18 High Street SA48 7BG
OS Grid Ref: SN5759248109
Opened: before 1805      
Closed: 1938       Type: Inn
Summary: The Tabernacl Chapel (Methodist) was built behind the Red Lion in 1806, on what had been the Stables belonging to the Inn. The Red Lion Stables were relocated to the far end of High Street, and when the Tabernacl Chapel became too small for its members, the new Methodist Chapel (Shiloh) was again built in 1874 on land occupied by the Red Lion Stables.

Notes: 1830
Pigot’s Directory: John Williams,
1841 Census
John & Sibylla Williams, Innkeeper
1844
Pigot’s Directory, Thomas Williams (son of above)
1849
Hunt & Co. Directory, John, David & Thomas Williams
1851
Census: John, David & Thomas Williams, publicans
The Red lion was popular with farmers and Cattle dealers; the Williams Brothers themselves bought and sold horses.
1861
Census : John & Thomas Williams, Innkeeper
1871
Census: John Williams, Innkeeper
1875
licensee: Richard Richards (Worrall’s Directory, 1875)
1881
Census: Elinor Richards, Innkeeper
1882
Richard Harries, proprietor. Well aired beds always ready. Dinners every Saturday and Fair days. Stabling for 24 horses.
Cardigan and Tivyside Advertiser, Jan. 1882
1891
Census: Elinor Richards, Innkeeper
Evan Richards, son of Elinor, retired in 1935 after 33 yrs as postmaster at Lampeter.

1894
"Application for the transfer of the licence of the Red Lion, Lampeter, from Jenkin Jenkins to Evan Davies, Alltyblacca, Llanwenog, was granted." CN 6 July 1894


1899
Evan & Anne Davies
1901
Census Hannah Davies, Innkeeper's wife
1905
Petty Sessions: Lampeter; number on list: 1; name of premises: Red Lion; Parish / Place: Lampeter; Licensee: Davies, David; owner or tenant : owner; registered owner : David Davies, Red Lion Inn; free or tied: Free; tied to: [blank]; type of licence: full; on or off licence: on; number of licenced days per week: 6. (1905 list)

1920 Kelly's Directory - Mrs Eleanor Davies

1938
Closed, Compensation proceeded with, but minute book ends
(County Licencing Committee, 1905-1938 Ceredigion Archives, Cards/QS/L/1)
1939
Licensing Committee. Decision to close the pub and pay compensation of £186
Cardigan and Tivyside Advertiser, 13 Jan. 1939




Additional information