N.B. Some pubs do not appear on the maps as we do not have a definite location for them.
Details of pub: Lion, Aberaeron
Other names: Gogerddan Arms; Black Lion 3Address/Location:
3 Bridge Street (on corner with Alban Square) OS Grid Ref:
NOT KNOWN Type:
Meeting place of the Benefit Society, established or first registered: 1855
(JD Pratt’s list, printed, no. 83, date of approval by Pratt 19.2.1855)
(Robson directory, 1840)
(Quarter Sessions, NLW MS 13867, 61 31st August, 1842)
(Quarter Sessions, NLW MS 13868, p. 292a, 26th August, 1846)
(Slater’s Directory, 1859)
Edwards, John, (Census, 1861)
Lloyd, Elizabeth, (Petty Sessions, 1865)
An assignment of the leasehold of a property, dated 18th July, 1866, named the premises as Gogerddan Arms or “Lion Inn” Aberaeron. The lease was transferred from William Jones, Timothy Jones and Catherine Edwards, widow of John Edwards, late of Aberayron, innkeeper, deceased to John P Jones, chemist, Aberaeron. The original lease, dated 30.3.1833 refers to the land on which John Edwards lately built a property.
NLW Roberts and Evans, CB5/21/1 (with plan); CB5/21/3
See also Mair Lloyd Evans and Mair Harrison, The Ins and Outs of the Inns of Aberayron, (2013), pp. 9, 10, 16