N.B. Some pubs do not appear on the maps as we do not have a definite location for them.
Details of pub: Dyffryn Castell Hotel, Cwmrheidol
Other names: Address/Location:
Ponterwyd OS Grid Ref:
c. 2010 Type:
This is one of the inns built on the road between Rhayader and Aberystwyth to reduce the distance between one posting station and another. Notes:
[Description of a ruined building which had been intended as an inn]. 'This is near another lonely place – [where there is] an inn too – that has perhaps been the ruin of the other; for it is built where the road turns off to the Devil’s Bridge … The Inn is Dyffryn Castle.' [The ruined inn was probably the original Nanteos Arms.]
Anon, An Excursion over the Mountains to Aberystwith, Blackwood’s Magazine, 46, July 1839, p. 68
Dyffryn Castle Inn. Newly built, to be let from Lady Day next. 14 miles from Aberystwyth, 20 from Rhayader. Now owned by Mr and Mrs Taylor.
DYFFRYN CASTELL INN.
We perceive by the advertisement [above] that this newly built and commodious Inn and Posting House, with the Farms occupied therewith, are to be let from Lady-day next, and we doubt not that a desirable Tenant will very speedily be found; as independently of the superior advantages which this Inn possesses as a Posting House by its connexion with all the principal lines, the eligible Farms combine to render it worthy the attention of a good practical Agriculturist. We believe Mr. and Mrs. Taylor resign Dyffryn Castell on the sole ground of altogether retiring from business.
The Demetian Mirror, 3rd October 1840
NLW Nanteos Rentals, R71; Demetian Mirror, 3.10.1840, pp. 63 - 64
In the 1871 Census, the publican was Thomas Jenkins. He was there from around 1860. His son, William, ran the nearby Rhydlydan Inn.
Seven day's licence granted to Richard Harvey
Llanbadarn Fawr Petty Sessions, The Cambrian News and Merionethshire Standard, 1st September 1882.
Mrs. Harvey, of the Dyftryn Castell Hotel, applied for a transfer of the licence of the Maesbangor Arms from Mr. Abraham Owen to herself; CN 1 Jan 1896
26 July 1897
SALE CATALOGUE for properties in the parish of Llanbadarn Fawr including … The Dyffryn Castell Hotel, Gelly Ucha.
Ceredigion Archives, ADX/394/3
Newspaper advert for sale describes it as 'double-licensed'
"TRANSFER. The Bench transferred the license of the Dyffryn Castell Hotel from Mary Jenkins to Richard Lloyd, Rock Cottage, Ponterwyd, on the application of Mr Stanley Griffith Jones. " AO 6 Dec 1900
DYFFRYN CASTELL HOTEL PONTERWYD. (Between Aberystwyth and Llanidloes.) THIS well-known Establishment is entirely under new Management. Good accommodation for Cyclists and other Visitors. GOOD FISHING IN THE NEIGHBOURHOOD. GUIDE TO PLYNLYMON. POSTING.
Proprietor- RICHARD LLOYD.
The Cambrian News and Merionethshire Standard 4th September 1903
Petty Sessions: Llanbadarn Fawr; number on list: 2; name of premises: Dyffryn Castell Hotel; Parish / Place: Cwmrheidol; Licensee: Lloyd, Richard; owner or tenant : tenant; registered owner : John Howells, Cwmergyr; free or tied: Free; tied to: [blank]; type of licence: full; on or off licence: on; number of licenced days per week: 7. (1905 list)Additional information
People associated with this establishment Jenkins, Thomas [-]