The database currently contains details of 1001 pubs and other premises, 256 places and 209 people. There are also 322 photos and postcards, 80 pub signs, 670 newspaper articles, 253 maps and 104 documents. About 136 pubs are still open.
Use the options below to search the database.
N.B. Some pubs do not appear on the maps as we do not have a definite location for them.
Other names: Address/Location:
Harford Square SA48 7HF OS Grid Ref:
before 1851 Closed:
c. 1960 Type:
These premises became known as the White Hart about 1865, when David & Mary Lewis were moved from White Hart (1), now the Castle Hotel. [See separate entry]. However there had been a pub (or inn) here previously. Could it have been known as the Kings Head? - R.D in his column '65 years ago' in Cambrian News 1934 states that ...."the next premises were known as the Kings Head, today the White Hart. About the same time, (1860s) David Davies, Carpenter, had built a new place for himself in Bridge Street and called it the Kings Head.Notes:
Samuel Jones (Sam y Crydd) - moved to The Queens Arms (Part of the White Hart was a Cobbler’s shop)
Premises have no name on the Census - Simon Harries Innkeeper
Sometime after the 1861 Census, Capt. David Lewis and family, who was Innkeeper at the Old White Hart in High Street (now Castle Hotel), came here, bringing the name with them.
White Hart David Lewis Innkeeper
licensee: David Lewis (Worrall’s Directory, 1875)
White Hart David Lewis, Innkeeper
William Davies, Innkeeper
Petty Sessions: Lampeter; number on list: 9; name of premises: White Hart; Parish / Place: Lampeter; Licensee: Howells, William; owner or tenant : Owner; registered owner : J Howells, White Hart; free or tied: Free; tied to: [blank]; type of licence: full; on or off licence: on; number of licenced days per week: 7. (1905 list)
Jenkin Howells. (Died 1929)
Tom and Annie Evans
About 1960, a fire broke out in the White Hart. It was not restored, but sold to the Midland Bank who rebuilt the premises, and moved here from High Street.