Explore the database

The database currently contains details of 991 pubs and other premises, 256 places and 209 people. There are also 310 photos and postcards, 80 pub signs, 662 newspaper articles, 252 maps and 104 documents. About 138 pubs are still open.

Use the options below to search the database.

N.B. Some pubs do not appear on the maps as we do not have a definite location for them.

Quick search

    Search for:
    Browse the database     Advanced search
Something not right? Got extra information? Please contact us and tell us more!

Details of pub: Fountain Inn, Trefechan

Other names: Fountain Head
Address/Location:
OS Grid Ref: SN5827081124
Opened: c.      
Closed: NOT KNOWN       Type: Pub
Notes: 1815
The Fountain Head, freehold premises for auction on 18.12.1815. Occupied by Thomas Rees at £20 per year.
The Cambrian (Newspaper) : 11.11.1815; Carmarthen Journal, 6.10.1815; Carmarthen Journal, 17.11.1815
1816
Evan Morgans of the Fountain Inn to collect the harbour rates for £15 p.a.
Minutes of the Aberystwyth Harbour Trust, 10.5.1816, NLW, ABR F1
1822
Evan Morgan, Fountain, Trefechan
(Pigot’s directory, 1822)
1823
licensee: Evan Morgan
St Michaels Vestry Rate lists, Ceredigion Archives, CPR/ASTM/123-128
1830
licensee: John Evans
source: Pigot and Co, 1830
1835
licensee: Mary Evans
Pigot's directory, 1835 [The address given is Bridge Street, but this is probably incorrect.]
1840
licensee: Mary Evans
source: Robson's trade directory
26 July 1843
LEASE of a piece of land, coal yard and premises situate in Trefechan in the county of Cardigan.[with plan showing limekilns, coal yard, "turnpike road" and the Fountain Inn]
1. The Trustees of the Harbour of Aberystwyth
2. Mr. Richard James
Ceredigion Archives ADX/393/5
1844
licensee: Thomas Peirce, Trefechan
source: Pigot and Co., 1844
1868
Licensee: Iliff, Sarah
Slater’s Directory, 1868
1875
Fountain, Evans, Evan, Inn and Public House, Trefechan, Aberystwyth, (Worrall’s Directory, 1875)
1885
Application for renewal of licence by Walter Wemyss, Fountain Inn, licence renewed. The Bench cautioned the applicant against selling beer on Sunday, and said if they had any complaints the licences would not be renewed in future
CAMBRIAN NEWS 11.9.1885
1905
Petty Sessions: Aberystwyth; number on list: 16; name of premises: Fountain Inn; Parish / Place: Aberystwyth; Licensee: Wemyss, J.G.P.; owner or tenant : tenant; registered owner : David Roberts and Sons; free or tied: tied; tied to: Aberystwyth Brewery; type of licence: full; on or off licence: on; number of licenced days per week: 7. (1905 list)
1926
Fountain Inn, Store House Brewery stables, Cottages and land adjoining.
Among the many freehold properties owned by David Roberts and Sons, 31.3.1926
NLW, Roberts and Evans, David Roberts of Trefechan; CB7/7





Additional information

Photograph:

Fountain Inn Trefechan, 2003

Date: 2003 (approx)

Newspaper:

Auction of the Fountain

Date: 1815

Newspaper:

List of pubs summonsed for using unstamped measures

Date: 1874

Newspaper:

Licence renewals 1885

Date: 1885