Explore the database

The database currently contains details of 991 pubs and other premises, 256 places and 209 people. There are also 310 photos and postcards, 80 pub signs, 662 newspaper articles, 252 maps and 104 documents. About 138 pubs are still open.

Use the options below to search the database.

N.B. Some pubs do not appear on the maps as we do not have a definite location for them.

Quick search

    Search for:
    Browse the database     Advanced search
Something not right? Got extra information? Please contact us and tell us more!

Details of pub: Plough Inn, Lampeter / Llanbedr Pont Steffan

Other names: Blossom Lodge
Address/Location:
OS Grid Ref: SN5773748119
Opened: c.      
Closed: c. 1978       Type: Pub
Summary: No name on censuses before 1871. Previously known as Blossom Lodge. Known as The Plough Inn by 1894. Closed c. 1978

Notes: BLOSSOM LODGE
1841 (not named as an inn or pub) (census)
Samuel Davies Surgeon
1851 (census)
John Jenkins Saddler
1861 (census)
David Davies Carpenter
(by the 1871 census, David Davies & family was in The King’s Head)
1871 (census)
Blossom [Inn]. David Lewis Currier & Innkeeper
1875
Blossom Lodge. Owen Thomas
1881 and 1891 (census)
Owen Thomas, Carpenter & Innkeeper
1892
Owen Thomas died
PLOUGH INN
1894
Plough Inn Richard Morgan
1899
Transfer of license of the Plough Inn was granted to Mrs Sarah Thomas, the widow of the late Mr William Thomas.
(Welsh Gazzette 29.6.1899)
1901 (census)
Sarah Thomas (widow) Publican
(By the 1911 census Sarah Thomas had been married for 10 years to Evan Davies, and they are both keeping THE CASTLE GREEN in Bryn Road)
1905
Return of Public Houses in Petty Sessions
Licensee: Evan Davies tenant
Owner: D.& J. Jones, Millbank
Free House open 6 days a week
1 Transfer in last 5 yrs: Date of last transfer:30 August 1901
Number of Rooms: Downstairs: 3 Bedrooms: 5
Stabling for 15 horses
Entrances: 3
Refreshments other than intoxicants
Distance from nearest public house: 25yards
Poor Law: £18.10.0
Annual Value of premises: £25
Urinals: No, Closet: Yes

1909
Mr Jones, Plough Inn, Lampeter noted as contractor building new Congregational Chapel in Dihewid. CN 20 Aug 1909


1910
"Drunk and Disorderly. Rees Davies, Barley Mow, Lampeter, haulier, was charged by D.C.C. Williams with having been drunk and disorderly in Harford-square on May 9th. P.C. Oliver said he was called to the Plough Inn to turn defendant out. He was drunk and very disorderly, and continued the same conduct up to the Square, where a large crowd collected. Defendant, who did not appear, was fined 10s. including costs. " Cmn Jnl 3 June 1910

1911 (census)
Roderick & Elizabeth Jones, Innkeeper
1926
Among the many freehold properties owned by David Roberts and Sons, 31.3.1926
NLW, Roberts and Evans, David Roberts of Trefechan; CB7/7
1930s
Tom Davies, [Bon Marche] bought the Plough Inn and the Priory and sold the Plough to the brewery.
1935
Reference in one of the weekly papers to J J Monk, late of The Plough Inn
Later :
Tom Jones – brother to Evan Jones, King’s Head (?)
1960s
Tom & Elsie Ebenezer: - they later moved to The Castle Hotel
John & Mae Raczka
1973
Gwyn Richards – later moved to the Lock & Key, Ram
Carol & ? Lloyd
The Plough was bought by Sam & Mary Davies, Royal Oak. The pub was changed into a Sports/gun Shop, run by Sam and his son, Eirwyn. The Archway was closed up, and became a Hairdresser’s salon ( ‘Dilys’ – Eirwyn’s wife)
Then became a bread shop / sandwich bar run by Margaret, Sam’s other daughter-in-law. (neé Harrison, daughter of Tom & Sally Harrison, who ran the Ivy Bush).
Later became The Cheltenham & Gloucester Building Society, and is now The Principality Building Society


Additional information

Postcard:

Plough Inn, Lampeter

Date: 1900 (approx)

Newspaper:

Licensing - description of the Plough

Date: 1905