The database currently contains details of 1001 pubs and other premises, 256 places and 209 people. There are also 322 photos and postcards, 80 pub signs, 670 newspaper articles, 253 maps and 104 documents. About 136 pubs are still open.
Use the options below to search the database.
N.B. Some pubs do not appear on the maps as we do not have a definite location for them.
Other names: Address/Location:
Barley Mow OS Grid Ref:
NOT KNOWN Type:
The Barley Mow pub was situated on part of the lower Common, which became known as Barley Mow.
Barley was grown in this area for those who brewed beer.
(R.D. - Cambrian News 1935 “65 Years Ago”)Notes:
From Parish Vestry records (selectively published by George Eyre Evans, Lampeter, 1905)
Courts Leet were held at a house, the landlord of which was Thomas Edmunds.
Thomas Jenkins, Rhydybennau, steward to the Parish of Ystrad &Talsarn “…Held courts at Barley Mow.”
Thomas Edmunds obtained a licence to sell ale, and called his house ‘The Barley Mow’.
Courts Leet held here. Many lots of land [from the Common] were given to poor people who had applied.
The house was not pulled down, but a larger house was built on part of the old walls.
"Drunk and Disorderly. Rees Davies, Barley Mow, Lampeter, haulier, was charged by D.C.C. Williams with having been drunk and disorderly in Harford-square on May 9th. P.C. Oliver said he was called to the Plough Inn to turn defendant out. He was drunk and very disorderly, and continued the same conduct up to the Square, where a large crowd collected. Defendant, who did not appear, was fined 10s. including costs. " Cmn Jnl 3 June 1910Additional information