N.B. Some pubs do not appear on the maps as we do not have a definite location for them.
Details of pub: Black Lion Inn, LlandreOther names: Address/Location: OS Grid Ref:
before 1841 Closed:
c. 1917 Type:
'The True Ivorite Society was established in the area in 1841 with 90 members, which later increased to over 300 in number. It was called the Castell Gwallter Society, and met in the Black Lion Inn, Llandre, before the Club House (Ty Clwb) was built. The grave of the first housekeepers, John and Lydia James, Ty Clwb, is in the cemetery.
David and Margaretta Thomas, Black Lion Inn, Llandre are buried here. Her brother was the Revd T L Williams, a canon in Newtown; he lived in the vicarage, which was called 'Croesawdy'. He was fervently anti-alchohol, and persuaded Margaretta to close the Black Lion Inn in 1917[1915?], and name the house 'Croesawdy'.
1865 Edward Morgan, Tynypark, Llanfihangel-Geneu'rglyn, farmer, summoned Richard Jenkins, of the Black Lion. Llandref, for assault.-Case dismissed (Welshman 14 July 1865)
Licensee: Richard Jenkins
Slater’s Directory, 1868
Photograph of the Black Lion Inn Llandre, showing a meet of the Gogerddan Hounds.
Ceredigion Archives ADX/415 History of Bow Street Volume 2, p. 243
'Tafarn y Black Lion, Llanfihangel' Tincer, 112, (Oct 1988), p. 4
Petty Sessions: Talybont; number on list: 11; name of premises: Black Lion; Parish / Place: Llanfihangel Genu'r Glyn; Licensee: Thomas, Margaretta; owner or tenant : owner ; registered owner : M Thomas, Black Lion; free or tied: Free; tied to: [blank]; type of licence: full; on or off licence: on; number of licenced days per week: 6. (1905 list)
Closed, Compensation £230
(County Licencing Committee, 1905-1938 Ceredigion Archives, Cards/QS/L/1)