N.B. Some pubs do not appear on the maps as we do not have a definite location for them.
Details of pub: Lisburne Arms, PontrhydygroesOther names: Address/Location: OS Grid Ref:
before 1864 Closed:
Also described as being in Ysbyty Ystwyth.
May have been a building on the site on the Tithe map?Notes:
The same defendant and his father, David Morgan, Maingacen, Llanfihangel-croydin-uchaf, miner, was charged at the instance of Mrs Jones, landlady of the Lisburne Arms, Ysbytty-Ystwith, with having on the 4th ultimo been drunk and disorderly at the Lisburne Arms.—Settled out of court, defendant pitying costs. Welshman 12 Aug 1864
Owner, 1890-1892: David Roberts, The Green, Trefechan (Brewer)
Licensee 1889: John Jenkins
Licensee 1889-1892 Sarah Ann Davies
Transferred to Tregaron Petty Sessional Division, 1892
Register of Licences, Ilar Hundred, 1889-1924 with additions to 1952, Ceredigion Archives, TPS/LLI/1/7
1897 "Unlicenced Dog.— John Messer, Lisburne Arms, Ysbytty Ystwyth, inn-keeper, was charged by Superintendent Phillips with having kept a dog which had no licence on July 24th." CN 3 Sept 1897
Drunken Italian Miners - see att.
"The Lisburne Arms, also has not the necessary urinal accommodation, and customers are obliged to come out to the front and to the pine end for private purposes; and as that spot is so exposed, several complaints have recently been made to the Police about it" Chief Constables report, WGWWA 30 Aug 1900
Petty Sessions: Tregaron; number on list: 17; name of premises: Lisburne Arms ; Parish / Place: Ysbyty Ystwyth; Licensee: Messer, John; owner or tenant : tenant; registered owner : City Brewery, Litchfield; free or tied: tied; tied to: City Brewery; type of licence: full; on or off licence: on; number of licenced days per week: 6. (1905 list)
Closed, Compensation £100
(County Licencing Committee, 1905-1938 Ceredigion Archives, Cards/QS/L/1)