The database currently contains details of 991 pubs and other premises, 256 places and 209 people. There are also 310 photos and postcards, 80 pub signs, 662 newspaper articles, 252 maps and 104 documents. About 138 pubs are still open.
Use the options below to search the database.
N.B. Some pubs do not appear on the maps as we do not have a definite location for them.
Details of pub: Royal Oak Inn, Taliesin
Other names: Address/Location: OS Grid Ref:
c. 1975 Type:
Formerly in Taliesin. Closed in mid-1970s when owners decided to invest in the Wildfowler in Tre'rddôl. Completely demolished. Adjacent cottage is still called 'Royal Oak Cottage'Notes:
"license of the Halfway Inn was transferred from Mr John Jones to Mr Robert George Hazaal; and the license of the Royal Oak, Taliesin, from Anne Pierce to John Jones." CN 18 Nov 1881
Petty Sessions: Talybont; number on list: 6; name of premises: Royal Oak Inn; Parish / Place: Taliesin; Licensee: Jones, John; owner or tenant : owner ; registered owner : J Jones, Royal Oak; free or tied: Free; tied to: [blank]; type of licence: full; on or off licence: on; number of licenced days per week: 6. (1905 list)
1907 Licence transferred from Timothy Jones to David Davies, Cambrian Street, Aberystwyth. AO 6 June 1907
Photograph of Taliesin. View down main road, with Temperance House on left and the Royal Oak inn on right. Published by H. D. Pugh, Post Office, Talybont. Posted 1924. Coloured.
Ceredigion Archives ADX/1010/7
The Inn and two cottages were among the many freehold properties owned by David Roberts and Sons, 31.3.1926
NLW, Roberts and Evans, David Roberts of Trefechan; CB7/7
People associated with this establishment Jones, John [1842-]