N.B. Some pubs do not appear on the maps as we do not have a definite location for them.
Details of pub: Downies Vaults, AberystwythOther names: Williams and Benson; Morgan and Co.Address/Location:
East Gate, Aberystwyth OS Grid Ref:
c. 1810 Closed:
open 2017 Type:
Formerly Williams and Benson, Wine and Spirit Merchants and Discount Office, then taken over by Henry Williams' clerk
JOSEPH DOWNIE, (1813 - 1870) founder of "Downie's Charity", and early benefactor of Aberystwyth Infirmary.
On Downie's death, Morgan and Co took over the Vaults.
Mentioned in the following:
Davies, J.R., (1953), Two Aberystwyth Benefactors, Ceredigion, II, no 2, 118-9
Jones, William, (1912), Aberystwyth Almanack, p. 122
Deeds of Downie's Public Houses, NLW, MISC, 1, p.14
Downie lived a few doors away from the Vaults, at the house on the corner of Eastgate and Pier Street, partly occupied by St David's club.
When the building was damaged by fire in 1915, there was a sale of a stock of wines salvaged from both premises.Notes:
Henry Benson. Wine and Spirit Merchant, North Parade [home?]
Williams and Benson, Wine and Spirit Merchants and Discount Office, Little Darkgate Street (now Eastgate)
Aberystwyth Guide, 1816
licensee: Henry Benson
St Michael's Vestry Rate lists, Ceredigion Archives, CPR/ASTM/123-128
Mentioned in directory in Aberystwith Observer "Morgan & Co. (late J. Downie, established 1810) Importers, Pier-street"
Cooke Bros, and Roberts will offer for sale on Thursday, June 24th a large and valuable stock of wines salvage from the fire at Downies Vaults and St. David's Club.
CN 11.6.1915 (see CN 28.5.1915 for account of the fire at St David’s club)
People associated with this establishment Downie, Joseph [1813-1870]