The database currently contains details of 1001 pubs and other premises, 256 places and 209 people. There are also 322 photos and postcards, 80 pub signs, 670 newspaper articles, 253 maps and 104 documents. About 136 pubs are still open.
Use the options below to search the database.
N.B. Some pubs do not appear on the maps as we do not have a definite location for them.
Other names: Address/Location:
Bridge St OS Grid Ref:
before 1833 Closed:
NOT KNOWN Type:
From ‘65 Years ago’ by R.D. (Carmarthen Journal 1935)
Drovers Arms is now a dairy at the junction of Bridge St. and Drovers Rd.
“In those days the premises extended over the offices now occupied by D.R.Evans & Co, printers. They included 3 thatched cottages:-
Martha Davies (Martha Shincyn)
Tavern – David Jenkins and his mother.”
Burial of Thomas Jenkins, Drovers Arms, aged 33 years in St Peter’s Churchyard
Margaret Jenkins, Innkeeper
Jenkin Davies, Innkeeper (moved from The Lamb)
Margaret Jenkins, Drover’s Widow
Martha Jenkin Davies, Baker
Jane Davies, Innkeeper
After this time, there is no mention of it being an inn. It was occupied by David Jenkins, Farmer, and his brother Jenkin a Cattle dealer.
There appear to be 3 distinct premises here: D.R Evans, Printer; David Jenkins, retired Cattle dealer, and Eliza Jenkins, Grocer.
The name Drovers Arms still appears on the census returns.