Explore the database

The database currently contains details of 991 pubs and other premises, 256 places and 209 people. There are also 309 photos and postcards, 80 pub signs, 662 newspaper articles, 252 maps and 104 documents. About 138 pubs are still open.

Use the options below to search the database.

N.B. Some pubs do not appear on the maps as we do not have a definite location for them.

Quick search

    Search for:
    Browse the database     Advanced search
Something not right? Got extra information? Please contact us and tell us more!

Details of pub: Talbot Hotel, Tregaron

Other names: Y Talbot
Address/Location:
OS Grid Ref: SN6807759677
Opened: c.      
Closed: open 2017       Type: Inn
Notes: 1819
We got a comfortable room at the Talbot Inn and ordered some mutton but it may have been goat and we had it replaced by Welsh rarebit the only other eatable to be had. … After retiring to rest, we were serenaded two or three times by a congress of dogs ably supported by all the geese and pigs in the neighbourhood, the dogs in general began the subject and were seconded by the geese who were immediately followed by the base of the pigs forming a fugue; we never ascertained the cause of this attention, but were extremely sorry that the poor animals staid up all night on our account.
Sandys, William, (1792-1874), Sandys, Sampson, (1797-1880) (brothers), A Tour Through Wales in October 1819, NLW Cwrt Mawr MS393 C, p. 85
1840 (about)
Tithe Map Name Caron
Field Number 74
Field Name Inn & premises
Area 1R 10P
The building is marked on the small map of the town but not on the larger-scale map at the bottom left hand side.
Tithe maps and apportionment.

1844
Deaths: "On the 13th inst., at the Talbot Inn, Tregaron, Catherine, the beloved wife of Mr. Ellis Thomas, aged 34. " The Cambrian 30 March 1844
1845
"Maps of the proposed Railway (by way of Tregaron) have been deposited for inspection by those interested, in the shop of Mr. Lewis, draper, and at the Talbot inn, Tregaron" Welshman 17 June 1845
1875
licensee: John Williams (Worrall’s Directory, 1875)
1885-1892 landlord William Morgan (d.1892) - wife's obituary
1892-1916 landlord Mrs Morgan - obituary

1894
Deaths: "Medi 24, Tom Jones, ostler Talbot Inn, yn 28 oed." Y Drych 10 Oct 1894

1918
Lot 1 Rent £89/17/6
Talbot Hotel, 6 day licence.
Ground floor: Coffee Room, Commercial Room, Sitting Room, Bar Parlour, Large Kitchen, Dairy, Larder, Liquor Store.
1st Floor: 9 bedrooms, Private Sitting Room, Large public room with separate entrance from the yard at side.
Half landing: WC
Top floor: 5 Bedrooms
Stabling with 10 stalls
Coach Houses
2 yards
Flower and Kitchen Gardens.
Farm
In occupation of Miss Nancy Morgan, 14 years from 25th March, 1911

Sale Catalogue of the Tregaron town portions of the Sunny Hill Estate, Cardiganshire, including the Talbot Hotel, Ceredigion Archives, ADX/424/11
1905
Petty Sessions: Tregaron; number on list: 1; name of premises: Talbot Hotel; Parish / Place: Tregaron; Licensee: Morgans, Sarah; owner or tenant : tenant; registered owner : J Peacock, London; free or tied: free; tied to: [blank]; type of licence: full; on or off licence: on; number of licenced days per week: 7. (1905 list)


Additional information

Pub sign:

Pub sign, 2006

Date:

Photograph:

Talbot, Tregaron, c. 1900

Date: 1900 (approx)

Newspaper:

Extended hours for Eisteddfod

Date: 1914

Newspaper:

Obituary Mrs Morgan

Date: 1916

Newspaper:

Inquest on a drunken dead tax-man

Date: 1850

Newspaper:

Inquest on a tramp's child.

Date: 1854

Newspaper:

Lack of urinals

Date: 1894

Newspaper:

Talbot to let

Date: 1883